Top Shelf Aquatics

quick answer needed: 32 watt or 64 watt for 12 gallon nano?

kertong

Hey everyone,

I have a 12 gallon flat-back hex - it is about 20" wide and 15" deep. (these are very approximate measurements, I have the tank at home and I'm at work now).

Anyhow, the main purpose of me starting the tank is because I wanted to keep long tentacle anemone, and maaayyybe a clam.

This is why I wanted 2 32watt csl power compacts, to have a total of 64 watts into my tank. Right now, I have 1 32watt pc, and the tank is just a dim blueish/whitish tint - I know it could stand to use more light.

However, my friend constantly tells me my 32watt light is enough. Then when I ask him what kind of anemone I should get, he just tells me to get a bubble tip. But I don't want a bubble tip. And I want to keep higher-light environment corals.

What do you guys think I should do? Keep just 1 32watt powercompact (they ahve the 10000K daytime and ultrablue actinic), or get another light to supplement it?

Oh, and heat is not an issue. I've left my 32 watt bulb on for ~10-12 hours, and I can still pick up the lights with my bare hands by the bulb. its only warm to the touch.

Get as much light as your wallet will allow. We are trying to mimick the Sun and nothing man made comes even remotely close. So if you think along those lines it puts it in a better perspective. Get the 64 you will not regret it and you can grow with it. Truth be told I would suggest two 64's. Good luck!

Archived