Coral Vue Hydros

milky water

Zero

here is the story...My damsel got stuck on the powerfilters filter.. damslel died and now my water is cloudy....why is it that my water is cloudy it was clear before i went to bed....Help!!

Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want accurate answers to your questions, we need accurate ones as well.

The question is, did it get stuck and thats how it died (most healthy fish can free themselves from an intake), or after it died from the ammonia overload did it just eventually end up stuck to the intake as would any dead fish floating around the tank? I mean, if you knew for sure that that was how it died, you must have saw it get stuck and then just left it there to die. The way I see it is that you woke up, it was stuck to the intake dead and the water was cloudy.

The question still lies in if the tank was fully cycled or not? What are your readings from your test kits? The first 2 things you need to check are the temperature of the water and to be sure it is constant and the other of course would be the water quality.

Sounds like you just jumped the gun of the fish and now have some murky water that needs to be changed and carefully watched until all is cycled properly.

Your tank was too young to absorb the waste of a dead fish. Fish died, wasn't immediately removed, and the resulting ammonia spike overwhelmed your biofiltration, polluting your system and clouding your water. That's my guess. Water changes and patience should set you straight.

The cloudiness is from high ammonia...it'll pass.

While damsels suck, I can't say they are the best way to break in a tank, even if they die in the process. I buy Liquid's scenario of death, then sucked into powerhead.

Cycle with a little LR, and things should be fine.

OK, I got a question here being a newbie to nanos. I've had a bunch of fishtanks before, started with freshwater and just started a 40G last Sept that is doing very well. During all tanks I set I besides my most recent reef I always jumped the gun when it came to adding fish and caused myself major headaches trying to save fish. When I set up my 40G I was very patient, I was spending a lot more money and didn't want it wasted. I never got ANY ammonia spike in the tank nor nitrites, one day my nitrates were just going up. I used dead sand and just a few pounds of cured live rock and a couple damsels.

My question on nanos:

Because nanos are so small and the cost is relatively low compared to larger tanks, has anybody tried just filling with live sand, well cured live rock and had no cycle? It just seems really simple, but would it work?

Just curious if anybody has done this with good results.

-Jonathan

That is what I did....I never noticed a "cycle" as in any detectible ammonia or nitrite....but I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't test for a week. Started adding easy corals, snails and such....no problems. Thing is you still need to add to your bioload slowly and give your system time (and enough LR and LS) for populations to grow and stablize to avoid problems.

OK, well I started my 5.5 over the weekend and used 20lbs of live sand...all RO water for filling it and put about 8-9 lbs. of cured live rock. The rock actually came from a store that is moving to another location and they're emptying their tanks, selling them and starting everything new at the other location. So I grabbed some rock that's been in tanks for years already. I ended up with some mushrooms, polyps and various other hitchhikers.

Just thought I'd throw the question out, still going to wait anyways, I don't want to kill anything I put in there.

-Jonathan

Archived