Top Shelf Aquatics

21g Nano

camustang

Here is a shot of my 21g reef.  It's a ViaAqua LV-680 (20"x17"x13" WxHxD), with 72W of PC lighting (36W white, 36W actinic), 20lbs of Fiji live rock, and a Rio 180 for current.  

I'm running an EcoSystem40 HOB refugium/filter with the 13W PC light on 24/7.  Nitrite and Amonia are 0, and Nitrate is 1ppm.  

I have several critters, including a saddleback clown, six-line wrasse, yellow watchman goby, and a bi-color angel.  There are 13 or so hermit crabs of different species, including a staghorn.  There is one black and white brittlestar, a fighting conch, a cleaner shrimp, two sexy shrimp, and 6 various snails.

Corals are a very small Xenia, bubble (euphyllia), mushrooms (actinodiscus) and some green polyps (protopalythoa vestitus)

My wife placed the rocks and corals...

Reef21-2002-6-19.jpg

nice, but a 3 week old tank hasn't even cycled yet.  with all those fish you might run into nuisance algae probs down the road.  just my opinion though..

i like the tank alot, with the rounded corners.  i assume that's an acrylic tank right?  looks very clean =)

Your wife has very good taste! The aquascaping is rather simple, however I find it to be attractive and open to a large number of possibilities relating to coral placement, it reminds me of a reef face, it is extremely natural looking and the coulor balance at the moment seems to be on the more natural side,I like it!!! :)

well done camustang! keep us posted on your endevours!

Don

The amonia on day 2 was .2, and the nitrites were .2 on day 5, and that's the highest it's been.  Between the refugium, the live rock, and the live sand it had a very fast cycle period.  

The tank is glass, even with the rounded corners.  That is one of the reasons I chose this tank.  All the benefits of glass, and the seemless, rounded corners as well.  ViaAqua is a Chinese company, so the cost is still reasonable ($195 for the tank and lights included) at my LFS in San Diego, CA.

My wife thanks you for the compliment.  We're both divers, and so have seen many reefs up close and personal...reminds us of what it's like to be under water even when we can't be.

Thanks again...

thats a really nice tank especially for only 3 weeks (like mentioned earlier it hasnt even cycled yet) but still it looks like its been up for a few months,Chris:)

nice looking tank. as rhino mentioned, the aquascaping is simple yet attractive. everything is nice and clean, good job. keep us posted.

whats up, looks good.  I really like those via aqua tanks but after my roomate had an "incident" with his 50 gallon glass tank breaking I decided to go with an acrylic 20t to be safe

i really like your tank. keep the pictures flowing as you continue to add corals to the "reef face".

Yes, it is a saddleback clown in the background there.  I will try to get another picture or two up tonight.  Thank you for all the comments.

I don't know if I posted this earlier or not but the ViaAqua LV680 is a glass tank with the rounded corners (which I like very much, no seams).  The LV680 is a 21g tank.  They also make the LV418 which is an 11g, and the LV418W which is a 15g.  All come with power compact lights (the LV680 with 72W).  I bought mine from my LFS (Tri-City Tropical Fish in Vista, CA (north of San Diego)) for $195.  ViaAqua's site is: http://www.commodityaxis.com/index2.htm although they don't list the LV680, only the LV418.

For the EcoSystem40 question, yes I do like it very much so far.  I was tempted to go the tried and true method (protein skimmer), but I elected to go with the EcoSystem.  So far it's kept all the measurements at or below the necessary levels.

The only fish I have in there now are the six-line wrasse, the saddleback clown, and the yellow watchman goby.

Anyway, thanks for the support, my wife appreciates the aquascaping compliments, and I'll keep everyone posted!

• 1 month later...
B) hey i think you should have shopped around on that price because im getting a viaaqua tank from my dealer for 170 and it is a 28 gallon oh i was wondering the bulbs you are using do they come with the setup and do the power compacts come with the setup to because i know every thing is bulit in but i havent seen the tank so i dont know . the name of the tank is called a floating tank because its glass and the corners are rounded just thought you should know.

Archived