ReefCleaners.org

Fragging Individual Zoo Polyps

irishtexan

Hey,

I have some zoo's that need to be fragged a little. How do I remove them and what tool/materials do I need?

Thanks!

texx

ps-If anyone has any zoo's or palys for sale LMK!

I use a dremel tool on zoos with one of those round circular cutting attachments.

I make a cut into the live rock under the zoos, then I force a flat heat screw driver or chisel into the cut and break the rock off.

Sometimes the zoo will still be attached to the others. I don't like to force them apart so I will use a razorblade.

I then use a paper towel to dry off the underside of the rock they are attached to and put some super glue on it. Then I put a dab of superglue on the rock I want to put them on.

Stick the two together and return the frag to the tank.

Thats about it.

If they are on live rock rubble, just dry off the underside of the rubble they are attached to with a paper towel.

Put a dab of superglue on the rock, and a dab on the rock your going to attach it to and place it in the water.

Sometimes you will have to hold the two pieces together under water for a minute for the superglue to set.

If they are on frag plugs, they are usually attached to some kind of live rock rubble and superglued to the frag plug. If that is the case, I take a flat head screw driver/chisel and break it free from the plug. Then I dry off the underside (may be some rock or dried superglue) and I glue and attach as mentioned above.

If it is actually growing on the reef plug, I will dremel into the reef plug under the zoo to try and keep some of the reef plug attached to the zoo. The main point that there is some type of substrate attached to the zoo to superglue.

garf.org has info on making frag plugs, although it doesn't look like a fast and easy process.

The Propogator also has a post (in the coral forum I think) about buying small marble tiles cheap at lowes.

Razor blade, scrape off a bit of rock in the process. Or hammer and chisel. Dremels are for stony corals and wimps only. ;)

PS, "frag plug" = live rock rubble from the LFS. Don't let 'em charge you full live-rock price for it, though.

lol. Thanks guys. The zoos are on frag plugs so it is pretty hard to get some of the polyps off. I might just get a little flat head screw driver and just try to chip some of them off.

I had some RPE's and one was starting to grow on the edge of the frag plug so I removed it using an exacto knife and razor blade.

Also, I saw somewhere that you can fill a thimble with some argonite sand and then drop a few drops of super glue in there and it bonds the sand and then you have little frag plugs. I am going to try it and see if it works.

I more thing, I am going to build a small prop tank. I was think like 6in high, by 12in long, by 12in wide. How do you cycle it?

texx

• 3 weeks later...

I know I hate frag plugs too. Especially when some one attaches a really nice acro to it and then it starts encrusting it. They just look bad in tanks.

texx

ps-Check out my thread on my 2.5G in the Pico Forums!

Archived