ReefCleaners.org

Seahorses?

rhinoivory

I was wondering if it was possible to keep seahorses in a reef. My LFS keeps small tank-raised seahorses in a 7 gallon (2 of them). Mind you, there are no corals, inverts, etc. They cling onto fake ornaments and the such, and they readily eat flake. They looked healthy and vibrant. Are they coral predators? Are they worth the money, or should I sway away from them? I am aware that they need prestige water conditions and a slow flow of water... and thats about it

jollybluepunk

I have a picture of a dwarf seahorse tank that includes micro algae, a finger-leather coral, mushrooms, and live rock.  However, it isn't mine to post but if you email me I'd gladly email it to you.  It's a really awsome setup!!

they dont eat any corals however, the corals can sting them and kill them. corals need high water motion, horeses can only live with a very low water motion.

I dont think I would put them in a reef tank. they cant really swim agaist the current and would be flung around by the exaust of a power head. you can do them with just shrooms and/or button polyps. I wouldn't run with a leather coral in a seahorse tank for the fear that they might get stung by it. I have also seen them in tanks with lagoon creatures in it like small hemits and clams, scalps, feather dusters, coraline and macro algae, horse shoe crabs, ect. (NEVER put a large hermit in though because it will almost always eat a seahorse).

as long as you stay away from:

Fish, Most corals, all anomones, most crabs and shrimp, octopi, and anything else that will sting or eat them you will be ok :) sea horses have no defense agaist anything, they arent fast enough to flee, they dont have any claws or shells to protect them so keep this in mind when adding anything and you will be ok. thats just my 2cents.

Joe

Archived