SaltCritters.com

Go slowly? And evolve?

lost

Well here it is. I want to start the mega nice nano tank but i dont have alot of $ right now to spend. Im restoreing a car so that takes all my money. Would it be possible to start a tank with basically dead rock and seed it with 5-10lbs of LS and then add 5 lbs of live rock and 7lb of dead rock. Apply my actinic 64w of light and let it rip? Is this possible. Add maybe a blue leg crab and 2 snails to keep algee down. Then add all the goodies later? this would be a 10gal btw.

Philip

Philip, sure you can start slow and add as you go. But it might be better to spend some time planning/dreaming about the nano and get your car done before jumping into another expensive hobby.

You really don't need any live sand. The live rock will seed the sand. You can use a mix of base rock and live rock. If you are planning on keeping corals you will have to spend some money fairly early in the scheme of things. Some where in a post there is a list of supplies to get started and the money adds up quickly.

What kind of car are you working on?

its a mustang. A nano costing $2,000 would be spit in a cup comared to the car project. Obviously ide like to do it for less then that... Personally the reason ide want to do the tank like that is so i can satisfy my desire for a reef w/o spending a buttload of money.. Will the rock survive having only actinic lights until the MH can be purchased? I know a skimmer is needed as well i could posibly get a aqua clear 75 those are pretty cheap.

Philip

Archived