inTank Media Baskets

NYC water quality

DongShenYin

DongShenYin

Okay, so I asked various store personnel, members of my aquarium society, and random aquatic customers... and most of them tell me that they mix water with salts right out of the tap for marine tanks... and even reef tanks. Is NYC water THAT pure?

They used to bottle it and sell it. Unfortunately, the water is good but most buildings have crappy plumbing. My tap water comes out in various shades and there are often things floating in it.

Originally posted by Crakeur

They used to bottle it and sell it.  Unfortunately, the water is good but most buildings have crappy plumbing.  My tap water comes out in various shades and there are often things floating in it.

lol - good ol' New Yawk

Our water is delicious when it's running clear. My gf actually bottles the stuff to bring back to Jersey whenever we've got the car in the city. She says NJ water tastes like feet. No argument here.

DongShen- I know a reefer in Queens who uses tap treated by AP's purifier. It's just a DI unit, so it exhausts itself too quickly to be worth it for most of us. But according to this guy, his resin lasts a very long time due to the high quality of NY water. May be a good way to go.

Originally posted by Satchmo

She says NJ water tastes like feet.  

Hey at least it doesn't taste like the state smells - arse.

I used to use the water straight from the tap for makep and topoff. I had problems with the usual algae etc. I bought a ro/di unit 2 years ago and still have that problem. even in new set ups using ro/di water only.

The algae looks like it was my fault and not due to the water, but now that i have the unit there's no reason not to use it.

I live on Staten Island and fortunately the water is consistently clear and free of floating debris as some of the others mentioned.

since NY water is chlorinated and filtered you can get a kent marine baresbones set up and add the DI part far a fair price.

Good luck

Guy

I could very well be wrong, but I think SI's water is from a different source than the rest of the city. I think SE Brooklyn and Queens is on a different aquafer too.

DongShenYin

I basically hate the taste of water, so I hardly drink it. I was also wondering if linking two water purifiers together was a good idea. I read about it on several sites.

Archived