inTank Media Baskets

RIP Emerald

hicksonj

I got home today and found my emerald crab stiff as a board upside down on the substrate. He didn't look injured or sick. He has been in the tank for about a month and had gotten huge. He killed a young peppermint shrimp about 2 weeks ago and I put a full size pep in there to replace it. Could he have gotten into a skirmish and lost? Did he eat too much McDonalds? Could my clown have attacked him? BTW: I did a full water test, after I pulled him out, and nothing is out of normal range.

MrConclusion

If he had been attacked, he would have had limbs ripped off. I believe your emerald crab was infected with an acute case of death. This can happen mysteriously to anything, especially if you have had it for less than 3-6 months... you never know what he was exposed to before you got him home.

Also, water tests don't show everything. Make sure your hands are clean, and free of soap/lotion/nailpolish, and don't spray a lot of Pledge or Lysol in the vicinity of the tank!

technoshaman

are you sure it's not jsut a molt? When they molt the discarded skeleton is so lifelike it's scary. I found one and thought the same thing he died but it ended up being a molt and I still have the little bugger in my penalty box tank (emerald was a zooplucker and fish grabber).

Archived