Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Clownfish/Anemone Setup.........

FishFreakOfNature

FishFreakOfNature

OK......I wish to attempt a 5 gallon Anemone/Clownfish setup. I am an experienced hobbyist and have successfully kept most corals. The sight of a Clownfish snuggled in his host Anemone has always entranced me.......Now I wish to set one of those up on my not-so-roomy desktop. Here are the plans:

Lighting: CustomSeaLife 15in 2 x 32watt ABS Hood (includes Actinic and Ultra Daylight)

Filtration: WATERCHANGES

Circulation:2 Maxijet 400 powerheads w/ sponge Prefilters

Livestock: (Open for discussion)

6 Blue Leg Hermits

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Bubble Tip Anemone

1 Maroon Clownfish

2 Nassarius Snails

1 Trochus Snail

Maybe some zoos and shrooms, if possible.........

I am aware that the Maroon Clown will grow big-I am prepared for that! I picked the Maroon because they are almost guranteed to take BTA's, the easiest Anemone to keep. The Clown will be purchased at 3/4 of an inch, and will be captive-bred. Waterchanges will be 50% 2 times weekly. (Each of my tanks gets 6 gallons of water "alotted" to it once a week.) The tank will have excellant circulation, light, and water quality. When the Clown grows too big, i'll simply pop him into my 75 gallon fish-only tank and buy a new one for my desktop. The Anemone should also do very well, and will be a captive "clone". I will feed it with silversides, shrimp, clam, etc. once weekly. The tank will have live rock and sand of the best quality. So, would this setup work for the anemone? I know it will for the clown. Oh, yeah, If I could also keep some corals (Zoos and Shrooms) in this tank with the Anemone, let me know, as i've never tried keeping an Anemone before, and don't know how destructive it can be.......

Thank You!

--Michael

as long as it's a species tank i don't think you have anything to worry about. i'd shy away from the shrooms tho but the zoos may be ok (good quality indicator). if the anemone plops down on them (and it will sooner or later) they should be able to 'defend' themselves. (more likely the anemone will zap them tho X) )

couple of issues i see are those maxi's might be a little large for a 5g (minijets may be a better option, no prefilter tho) those mini PH's dave's got is another thought. or those prehensile spray thingys. lunch's got a couple in his tank, a little $$$ imo tho.

the second issue is height. the 5g is a tad short unless the bta's a baby? i'd kill the substrate then to gain as much vertical viewing height and give the anemone light intensity options (rock-wise).

how about true percs instead? you could get a pair and not really worry about bioload (as much). just my $0.02, good luck!

pitbullpooch

i thought that anamones got to big for nanos i want one in my 20 g as soon as it cycles and im experienced enough to keep one but ive been told that a 20 is to small is this true or can i keep one.if so what kind sorry to invade your thread but i was curious.im new here i usually go to reef central.thanks

pitbull,

it'll depend on the species and what you want to stock in the tank. putting a goby and anemone in a 5g wouldn't be good imo but in a 15 or 20 that may be ok. (until it catches the goby that is)

for instance, i just saw a bta that was about three feet wide (not including the tentacles!) so it depends.

bta's grow pretty fast. sure, you can keep it in any size tank as long as the parameters are met for light and water quality. i wouldn't keep it stocked much beyond that because of the potential of a chain reaction of ammonia spike. with corals the die off would be on a polyp to polyp basis but if the anemone goes, it takes the whole tank with it.

i would keep feeding to a minimum too as my experience is that this is its primary means of growth. bta's also seem to prefer to eat at night although you can feed during the day.

also my friend has had some luck getting his ocellaris clownfish to accept bta as its host anemone. something to look into if you want a smaller clownfish in the tank.

Archived