SaltCritters.com

zoa prop tank

brandon0350

im going to set up a prop tank to grow out zoanthids and ricordias and maybe down the line some sps. im in the process of aquiring equipment for it so any suggestions are appreciated

tank: 48x24x12 (lxdxh)

lighting: tek 48" 6 bulb fixture w/ 4 blue and 2 daylight bulbs

skimming: custom dual recirculating needlewheel skimmer

flow: ???? i want enough from my return to where i dont need powerheads in the tank. i was thinking of doing 4 return holes along the back upper portion of the tank for good over all circultion.. any recomendations for a good pump?

do you think i should do a sand bed and live rock or eggcrate? i was also thinking of putting liverock in the sump for the bacteria but only having sand in the tank and just put the frag plugs in the sand?

any iideas comments or concerns would be greatly appreciated brandon

I have been doing a lot of reading on prop tanks and from what I have read the best thing is to have TONS of flow. The more flow you have on softies the more they grow. I have actually seen it happen with GSP. I put one in the rock work and another in direct flow from a 620. The one in the flow showed a noticible difference in size within about 2 weeks.

The Propagator

ONLY WITH POLYPS AND GSP. Tey are pretty much the only softies that like high flow rates.

a good alternating current will satisfy most of your softies and polyps in a prop tank.

I wouldnt go cheap on your lighting if I were you.

If it is to be a dedicated proptank I woul dgo with 2x 150w DE's and 2 x .03 actinic 96w PCs.

Use a wet dry filter with Live rock rubble replacing the boiballs.

Dont skimp on a skimmer either.

Three things frags need the most are GOOD LIGHTING, CLEAN WATER, and a MATURE TANK. ;)

Make shelves from egg crate to set them on once you have them mounted.

This will keep algae build up to a minimum and increase natural filtration because more of your substrates surface area will be exposed.

Let your new frag tank/tanks cycle twice as long as you would let a normal reef cycle before you start to stock it.

A mature tank is key yo healthy frags.

Its somthing you cannot get around either.

Keep live rock to a minimum in the main tank.

Run a refugium as well.

This will decreae algae and increase over all tank volume.

listin to the propagater

Btw all the polyps opend the ric is grownin and i got 4 mushroom heads from my LFS I work at for free hehe all i did is ask if i could have it and they gave me it

has about 2 head a polyp and it's grown also!!

Prop Knows what he's talkin about!!

The Propagator

2 x 175w would be fine.

I failed to mention that gorgonians are also a softy in the high water flow lovers section above.

Hey thats great Josh !!! I have the rock rubble in my filter and it is working wonders as we speak !

Thanks again little buddy !!

Free coral !!! you little tramp! LOL!!! Be careful how often you ask for something from them. You dont want to become the store bumb and get canned. Ask about an employee discount instead or a $1 per $1 cost ( as in what tey paid for it). Better long term results doing that. ;)

Post a pic of your new frags in a new thread so I can see what they lok like now.

:) I like to check up on my babies. ( The coral! NOT you homo!! ;):lol: )

The Propagator
Propagater i work at my LFS jacks Aquirium pets it has the worst Salt in the world but shrooms are shrooms

OMG dude we have to talk !!!

PM sent !!!

The Propagator

hmmm? RAGGY ?

I have some pcs sitting in the closet ( new bulbs at that).

I could set up another 20l I also hav ein the closet an dmake a dedicated zoanthid tank!

If they grow fatser in thier then I am set!

Thanks for the tip Pro' !

• 3 weeks later...

I'm growing a zoa frag under coil flourescents, took 3 weeks to double in size, kinda slow, but I'm happy with that... and xenia too, people in my area are having a hard time getting their hands on red sea xenia, heheheheheh.

Brandon,

I think the T5 HO would be fine for the zoos, just acclimate them slowly as the Teks are BRIGHT! You will get a very even light spread with the T5s and very, very good growth. With halides it's going to be easier working with them, you'll be able to access the tank better since you won't have a bulky fixture hanging over.

My prop system (same exact size) I ran the tek 8 bulb fixture and was working with mainly SPS and now more zoas, worked like magic. I ended up switching it out for a 250W pendant (yes, just one), am using it over the 3x2 area of eggcrate. (the sides have LR and fish hideout caves)

Nothing wrong with the T5s, though, the pendant would give you more freedom with working (which you will be doing lots and lots of in a prop system)

Have fun!

I'm thinking of going with a 24 x 24 x 6 with about 60x flow and a 250watt HQI Maristar + 2x24watt Actinic T5 setup for zoos. I know regardless that they're softies, they LOVE tons of water movement and a lot of light ;)

Archived