SaltCritters.com

Ocellaris Clown Swimming Habits

deliff

Hi there,

I'd appreciate the help if anyone has been in this situation or knows what to do. I have a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, have been in my recently new tank for probably about 2 weeks...one seems perfect health wise and the other one was fine till about 2 days ago. He has been swimming irregular (straight down w/ head touching substrate, swimming sideways in one spot, swimming @ the top of the water facing straight up, & just kind of floating with the water current & very lethargic) & has also recently lost his color slightly to a tangerine color, not as vibrant. Hasnt eaten in the past 2 days. As i said, the other is fine, just a problem with this one. If anyone can help, please do so and I would appreciate it very much! Thanks

- David

sounds like an internal infection... may be too late. I personally would flush him...only because the damage seems to be done (especially with him swimming straight down).... I also think any attempt to cure whatever the ailment is will kill him in this weakened state. My two cents.

Went to a reputable fish store around here to a guy with like 50+ years of experience with reef tanks. Just to let everyone else know, in case you run into a problem such as this. Told him all the symptoms & he told me it was Brooklynella. A quick onset parasite that invades the gills and produces mucus in there rather quickly, essentially suffocating the fish. You can check it out on one of these reef sites, or at about.com. They got some good info there. Thanks blubastion & cyenna for the quick response and the help... and just letting you guys and others know about what "could" be the problem. Thanks a lot.

- Dave

sounds like an internal infection... may be too late. I personally would flush him...only because the damage seems to be done (especially with him swimming straight down).... I also think any attempt to cure whatever the ailment is will kill him in this weakened state. My two cents.

The parameters of the water are fine...the other clown that he was with is perfect. Just adding on to that post i just made...if you see these symptoms do a fresh water dip for a few minutes and it should clear his gills out some, enough that the clown isn't having such a tough time breathing. Thanks again

Archived