Pod Your Reef

Buttons or Zoos?

Kaxter

Are these things buttons or Zoos? My LFS just gave them to me a while back and now after hearing the dreaded Zoo thread on RC I am terrified, lol. They are just brown things with a little orange in the center.

view.php?user=kaxter&file=buttonzoo.jpg

Any help at all would be appreciated...if they are zoos they are gone

zoos and don't worry about getting ill. I have tons of them in my tank, I have touched them and never had an issue. Of course, I don't lick my hands without washing them first and I never rub my eyes after toying with the tank. I did do a major cleaning with a huge gash in my finger last night (see lounge for details) and I am not feeling any ill effects after touching the zoos.

Man, now I am TOTALY freaked that I am going to die...Im a raging hypocndiac though...Its been about 36 hours since i have touched them....would it have already set in by now?

So if I am fine after 36-48 hours I will be good right? I actually am nervous about this, lol....I am gettin rid of these ****ers

Dude-kax-chill-

first of all-the zooanthids to be concerned with are palythoans-which those are not.

second-while some research suggests that all palythoans and their relatives protopalythoans produce palytoxin, some also suggests that its only isolated populations that produce highest, most dangerous concentrations of the neurotoxin

third-as a neurotoxin its action is quite rapid, and at 36 hours you would be considered out of the woods. i suspect that i have experienced a slight reaction-numb mouth and funny taste and this took place within a minute of contact. i'm not recommending everyone go out and lick their hands while aquascaping but...

just use common sense, wash your hands after working in the tank, cover cuts/wounds if you know you'll be digging around and they might get contacted (this will help prevent a number of different potential infections), you'll be fine

tg

Ok, I think I am settling down now...I just get so freaked out about stuff like that. I have been really sick to my stomach lately, and that is why I thought maybe I was coming "down" with it. But I didnt see sickness of stomach under the symptoms, so I think I will be fine. I am still getting rid of them though...I didnt buy a lionfish because I was afraid of getting stung....that being said...I will go out and look for my balls.

Zoos have a potent neurotoxin. It usually isn't stuff that makes you feel bad. It shuts down nerves (which is much worse). So if you go blind, or you completely lose your sense of taste, or you start to trip out, or you die from nervous system failure, you will know you have been poisoned. :) haha

MMMMMM PARANIOD r we?

there is risk in everything u do on a day to basis so chill and do it right an u be fine....just my 2 cents...........lol hypocondriac...thats to funny

Originally posted by Kaxter

I will go out and look for my balls.

I needed that.

I swear to god (mine, not yours Mac), I thought you were kidding.

Is there a distinction between zoos and buttons? I thought they were the same. Kax, you need to settle down my friend. If you're going to get rid of those, you may as well not keep corals. They all release chemicals, and many can pack a punch if you catch it on the wrong day.

Loads of reefers around the world; very few cases of serious poisoning. I think we'll all be OK.

MrConclusion

You don't "come down" with neurotoxin poisoning, just like you can't catch bullet wounds by kissing someone who's been shot.

This gets filed under the heading of: Things not to worry about unless your priorities are totally screwed up.

So the next time you young-ones get caught spanking, just tell mom you went blind from touching your zoos.

That will go over much better.

I'd show you but from what I hear we can't post non hosted pictures in the lounge anymore. Today I'm just to d*mn lazy to look for a new hosting site.

Originally posted by Satchmo

And where might that be Liz?

Archived