Coral Vue Hydros

New!

thejoie

I really should have seen this coming. As a little girl, I was fascinated with the reef and everything that had to do with it.

Now, I'm 20 years old and have a wide assortment of pets. I actually work in a pet store. And last week, my boss informed me that I won a 2.5 gallon little "salt water ready" tank.

I've been on this site.. for hours. Reading and looking at all of your amazing tanks. I can't wait to get started. I pick up my tank today.

How do you suggest I start. I guess that's the hardest part? I've heard some people starting with live sand. Others starting with live rock. Which is the best route to go? I'm secretly hoping this little tank leads into bigger and better things. I have 3 bigger tanks left from when I used to have freshwater tanks ranging from a 15 gallon to a 50 gallon!

However, I just want to take this one step at a time :)

Get your tank, put at least 2.5 lbs of live rock in it with some sand (doesnt have to be live) and some salt water. Then wait for the cycle to occur...

Also make sure you have sufficient lighting for it

circusordie16

my 2.5 gallon has been going strong for about 3 months. when i started out i got all the hardware i needed (18W light, 25W heater, tank, aquaclear 20 filter, thermometer, refractometer) and then got the salt and ro water, made myself some salt water, put in sand, water and live rock and waited for the cycle!

i did however spend about 2 months on this site everyday reading as much as i could until i felt like i was ready to go.

Welcome to N-R.com!

You couldn't find a better repository of knowledge for the care and creation of small reef tanks.

The first question I suppose would be - What do you want to try and keep in your 2.5 gallon. Also you said it was 'salt water ready' 2.5 gallon tank. Is it a branded package? Since you work at a pet store - I'm sure you can get LR and could even get a cup of LS (assuming you have reef tanks at work) to seed your sandbed with.

Welcome to NR!

Noone's mentioned it yet so I will - 2.5g is a small tank for starting out - You can do it though I'm sure - It'll take diligence and religious maintenance - Once you've mastered it, the other 3 tanks will be a snap! I say 3 tanks cuz this hobby's addicting - I give it 6 mos (or less) and you have all 4 running :lol:

Keep asking the questions, reading the boards, doing research and you'll be fine!

Yankee

Welcome to N-R.com!

You couldn't find a better repository of knowledge for the care and creation of small reef tanks.

The first question I suppose would be - What do you want to try and keep in your 2.5 gallon. Also you said it was 'salt water ready' 2.5 gallon tank. Is it a branded package?

Yea that's the funny part, we dont carry ANYTHING saltwater related. However, there is an AMAZING salt water only store a few miles from my house which is where I'll be getting all my things from :)

I had no idea salt water tanks could be that small!! Which is why I called bull###### on the little 2.5 gallon.. and then I found this site and serious was blown away!

I know the tank is probably too small for any fish. But I like the idea of shrimp, hermit crabs, and snails. Actually, the simple idea of mushrooms and coral is exciting.

I have a feeling this is going to be a dangerous hobby for me.

yes it can be - I started with a 3 gallon - then built a custom 1 quart pico, and then added a 5.5G, then a 6G and then I took the 3 and the quart down and put a 1.5G up. In addition to my 25H cichlid tank.

I'd get in on the next pico tank contest but it actually sounds like they are going with something larger than any of my tanks.

I just started my 2.5 Pico about a month ago and it's my first tank. I put 7lbs of Nature's Ocean live sand into my tank along with 3 lbs of live rock from a local reefer's established tank. The guy also gave me the majority of the 2.5 gallons of water I needed to start my tank from his established tank. One of my two rocks was completely covered in coraline algae (the purple stuff). I did NOT have a cycle. The tank was good-to-go from the start!!! I tested everyday for a week before I felt confident enough that there was no cycle and I could start adding coral.

So, I suggest getting ultra cured live rock from an established tank...and you've got the right idea reading as much as you can on this site. You should probably get a book too! It seems that you can never know enough with this hobby.

-Tim

Heres a good book to read (its 20$ but its HUGE, and covers basic-advance and has all scientific names!)

The complete book of the Marine Aquarium

by: vincent B. Hargreaves

He hates nanos, but eh'

Archived