Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best "equipment"

phil121

I just want to know your opinions on the following:

- good thermometer

- hydrometer vs. refractometer (these are expensive)

- if recommending a hydrometer, which one?

- good test kit

- any other accessories recommended?

Please remember that cost is a factor here, and while I will not skimp, I am conscientious about the amount of money I spend being a poor college student and what not.

Thnx

PS. If any question above is stupid, try not to dog me too hard for it. :P

granted you don't go to that local university of spoiled children, a start-up nano doesn't have to kill you or cost more than a few quarters worth of text books. (i fund mine by selling dried zoanthid polyps at parties).

$10 digital thermometer woot! (to serve also as desk clock)

$80 acquamarine refractometer (premiumaquatics.com)

$90 salifert "reef package" test kit (marinedepot.com)

$20 heater

$35 a pair of aquaglobe pumps (1 for tank, 1 for mixing sw?)

$15 maybe a small hob

$60 aga minibow 7

$50 csl 32w smartlamp upgrade

comes out to.... $360.

are you out of your mind?

no. :). consider how much you spent on your last chem or bio text book. ow.

invest what you want in terms of rock/fish/coral. knock yourself out. oh yah, get some salt too.

if you want to shop all at one place, email premium aquatics, tell them what you want and they usually match the prices of their competitors. might save by getting everything shipped from one source. Buy the tank locally - no big savings online and no risk of breakinig the glass.

Before I run off and spend $80 on a refractometer, is there any hyrometer that is good... Prices are ok until i look at that sucker...

I have the best equipment, at least thats what my girlfriend tells me.

Must catch up on sleep....

Hey, Just for everones info This Place sells top of the line refractometers new for $50.

Imo, you don't need a digital thermometer. A stick on glass one works good for nanos.

You don't need to spend $60 on a tank either if you don't want too!! A lot, imo, for a small tank)

If your into DIY stuff, AH Supply , IMO is the best place to buy excellent priced PC setups.

To cut corners even more, you don't necessarily NEED an extra pump to mix SW. Just let it sit atleast a day before putting it in your tank.

HTH

;)

E

AZDesertRat

I have used a hydrometer for 13 years and never had a problem. Always rinse it out with clean, preferrably RO or DI water after use and if you can check it against a refractometer for calibration if you know someone that has one. Stick on thermometers also work fine. I have a $100 commercial didgital unit for A/C work and its no more accurate than the $1.99 one on my tanks. I do use the digital for testing my make up water before adding it though. Salifert tets kits do seem to be the best.

What size tank are you referring to? When you ask about other acessories, a little more info would be helpful as different tank sizes or their intended livestock dictate most of the things you need.

I bought my tank and hood for twenty bucks. Had a heater and cheap HOB. After that I bought a Emperor 280 HOB, Ebo 100watt heater, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater test kit, Red Sea Phosphate test kit, Deep six Hydrometer with shipping $130. I bought my live sand for $30 and live rock for $153. Spent $40 for DIY tank stand. So I'm at $340 and all I need to add is live stock. Everything I bought was through internet. Good luck and happy reefing. My tank has been up for three weeks and my levels are dropping!

Archived