Cultivated Reef

clownfish only disease?

djchristone

ok i have no idea what the hell is up but i lose ALL of my clownfish (i only get ocell. clowns)

my water is always good (pH 8, trite/ammonia 0, trates often 0-5), weekly change, and all that. but for some strange reason, they just die.

no visible marks, no anything. they just suddenly one day have their top fin droop, slowly swim against the current, refuse to eat, sit in a cave in the lr, and die...these are also captive bred clowns...so yeah...ive had a firefish in there for about a month and he's completely fine. i've also recently added a yellow watchman goby who is also completely fine...

anyone have a clue?

ReefApprentice

That happened to me. They are probably getting from the same supplier. How do you acclimate? Do you QT?

Alex

it's possible that they're getting clowns from the same supplier but i was in san diego for like 2 months and got a clown down here. same thing happened and i'm pretty sure there's a different supplier there...

and no i don't qt them since i buy the clowns from the fish store after they've sat there for 2 weeks or more. and acclimating...i let it temp and then i pour half some water in and then just put the fish in.

Clownfishcrazy1117
it's possible that they're getting clowns from the same supplier but i was in san diego for like 2 months and got a clown down here. same thing happened and i'm pretty sure there's a different supplier there...

and no i don't qt them since i buy the clowns from the fish store after they've sat there for 2 weeks or more. and acclimating...i let it temp and then i pour half some water in and then just put the fish in.

Do you pour the water from the store in your tank?

you definitely have brooklynella in your tank. Treat with medication, and don't put any clownfish in the tank for a few weeks. The reason your goby isn't affected is because gobies are usually very immune to it.

nope i never pour water into my tank :)

and brooklynella..i guess it's possible. but i should note that i left my tank fishless for like 1-2 months before i added another clown -_-

this same thing happened to me about a year ago. i never found out what was happening, but i did end up being able to have clownfish again. i lost at least four different ocellaris clowns. i had one healthy one then i added one without quarantining it (i learned the importance of a qt the hard way) and it died of a similar disease. then within a week the other one died of the same disease. i waited a little while and put two more in the tank and they both died within a week with the same symptoms. i also had other fish that seemed unaffected by the disease. ive seen Brooklynellosis before and it is definitly not that. there was no excess slime as one of the main symptoms of it.

it starts off the clownfish drops its top fin and no longer swims like a wiggling clownfish. then they stop eating and end up dying. did the mouth on your clownfish seem to be stuck open ever?

well anyways i ended up leaving my tank clownfishless for a little more then 3 months and then the next ones i put in lived fine.

the only thing i can guess is it might be an internal parasite because you said you saw no external signs besides the wierd swimming. and when i left my tank clownfishless for 3 months maybe the parasite died.

good luck

ah ok :) yeah my clownfish had the same symptoms as yours :) top fin droops first, then doesn't swim, mouth open...bleh...oh well..thanks for the help :)

• 2 weeks later...

I sympathize with you...I just lost my first fish a clown. It had the same symptoms as yours. The first few days the clown was fine it was eating, swimming very actively, and then all of a sudden it was gasping for air, and just staying in one spot. It also stopped eating. I went to the store to buy some meds, but by the time I got home he/she was sitting on the bottom. It died a short time later. I'm very perplexed by this, was it stressed from the shipping 5 days ago? I also was thinking it might be brooklynella, however it had no slime coat, and no white spots. I looked it over pretty good after I pulled the clown out of the tank. I'll take what lessons I can from this and move on.

Brooklynellosis.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j...ooklynella.html

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j...ntinetanks.html

Here's the best information on the subject:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=288805

Basically most clownfish have an internal parasite, but if you can get the fish through proper quarantine procedures, you'll be in like fin.

Read up!

I sympathize with you...I just lost my first fish a clown. It had the same symptoms as yours. The first few days the clown was fine it was eating, swimming very actively, and then all of a sudden it was gasping for air, and just staying in one spot. It also stopped eating. I went to the store to buy some meds, but by the time I got home he/she was sitting on the bottom. It died a short time later. I'm very perplexed by this, was it stressed from the shipping 5 days ago? I also was thinking it might be brooklynella, however it had no slime coat, and no white spots. I looked it over pretty good after I pulled the clown out of the tank. I'll take what lessons I can from this and move on.

Pitt,

Same thing just happened to me. Same symptoms. No slime coat issues but everything else was consistent w/Brook. I pulled the fish and put him in my hospital/QT tank three days ago and started treating for Brook (Malachite Green and formalin). My Clown died last night. This is the first fish I have ever lost to disease and it was a very frustrating event. This clown was in the store for two weeks prior to me buying him and was good for another two weeks in my tank before he started symptoms. I plan to go to the LFS tomorrow at lunch and check the status of the other fish in the tank.

I searched all the Brooklynella posts on the web site, as this is the most common clownfish ailment, and it seems alot of people have a similar problem were all the symptoms resemble Brook, except for the lack of the slime coat problems. I under if there is some other clownfish specific disease that is currently undiagnosed......Any thoughts on that?

Prof

Pitt,

Same thing just happened to me. Same symptoms. No slime coat issues but everything else was consistent w/Brook. I pulled the fish and put him in my hospital/QT tank three days ago and started treating for Brook (Malachite Green and formalin). My Clown died last night. This is the first fish I have ever lost to disease and it was a very frustrating event. This clown was in the store for two weeks prior to me buying him and was good for another two weeks in my tank before he started symptoms. I plan to go to the LFS tomorrow at lunch and check the status of the other fish in the tank.

I searched all the Brooklynella posts on the web site, as this is the most common clownfish ailment, and it seems alot of people have a similar problem were all the symptoms resemble Brook, except for the lack of the slime coat problems. I under if there is some other clownfish specific disease that is currently undiagnosed......Any thoughts on that?

Prof

I too have been doing a lot of reading on brooklynella and my clown certainly had the symptoms barring the slime coat. I saw many people going back a few years worth of posts that mention the same problems, everyone always thinks it brooklynella, but I too wonder if it is some undiagnosed disease. Overall I was surprised at the speed in which the clown died. Is this typical of brooklynella? I really would like to keep another clown, but am certainly concerned about this. Thanks for your reply.

Archived