Pod Your Reef

uncured? THIS ONE COULD HELP OTHER NEWBIES

zizmans

I purchased 7 lbs of uncured Fiji. It had just come into the lfs that day. Brought it home, put it in the tank. LOTS of changes over the next couple of days, color, growth, etc. A few days later I started worrying about the changes. Tons of spider web-mold looking growths, green wartish things, also the plant life that was quite prolific was turning kind of gross looking ( which I thought couldn't be good). Talked to 2 different guys at the same lfs. One said I couldn't have enough bio on my rock and that anything that happens is beneficial. The other said "Oh man" take that rock outside and hose it off, then put it back in. I've read posts about peoples LR sprouting up life-worms, pollops, moving living oraganisms. What is the difference? how can you tell if the LR changes are good or bad? Should I buy from this dealer again? What is the best things to see whaen cycling a tank, what are the worst?

It's cycle.....it's all good IMO. Uncured has die off....you can either let all the dieoff occur in your tank or dunk and shake the rock in a bucket of saltwater to break free some of it. Either way you WILL always have dieoff when using uncured rock!

You live rock will sprout up with life very soon but every tank with incured rock has dieoff....it's normal. At the point your at now I wouldn't touch the tank....let it cycle:D

Cameron

I agree, let it cycle, much will die, most will live.

It's been 5 months and I am constantly getting new growth, macros, verts, clams, worms, duster, starts, etc.

This is what works for me. I made this decision after letting my first tank have a "hard" cycle, which killed all the critters on the rock.

If the rock is really icky (girl word) looking I dunk it in a bucket of salt water to knock off some of the dead junk. I also test during the cycle and if the ammonia spikes too high (above 1.5 ppm) I do a water change to bring it down. I want to preserve the life on the rock. I've heard that doing water changes makes the cycle take longer, I've found this not to be true and I want to preserve the life that come with the rock. Plus I like messin' with stuff.

The seven tanks that I've "soft" cycled have much more "life" in them.

Archived