Pod Your Reef

sediment choices

Chevytrks

i have found 10 lbs of miracle mud for $58

i have also heard of mineral mud (seachem) cheaper than miracle mud in price

and bio-sediment (kent) is even cheaper than that

anyone had any experiences with the 2nd 2 listed?

and what do you recommend?

$58 good price for 10 lbs miracle mud?

Thanks

There's often debate about the benefits of the MM type sediments for fuges. If you go over to RC and do a few searches, you'll find that quite a few people believe that there's not a huge benefit of using these compared to other fine grained sediments (i.e. oolith, southdown). The biggest benefit folks had mentioned was that there may be additional macro growth due to the iron within the mud. Other folks swear by it. You can judge for yourself by their comments (I believe there's also a breakdown of what actually is in the mud).

Personally, I just use a mix of oolith and select with LR and get lots of macro growth. For my next tank, would I use one of the muds? Maybe... it'll probably depend on budget - for but at this point, I don't believe the "proven" benefits justify the extra cost.

Anyways, take a look and let us know if you go with one of the 'muds' and what your results are.

-Ed

I use mineral mud. one gallon for 25 dollar. definatly over 10 pouinds. I like it. The kent stuff looks like it has a much larger grain size and is higher in calcium.

• 3 weeks later...
printerdown01

Mud just implies really small particle size and wet (the latter is certainly easy to satisfy in an aquarium). Olite is tech a "mud." A nice bright white mud though ;) .

I forget where I saw it but I remember seeing a web page where someone broke down the speculated ingredients for miracle mud and then how to make your own with basic ingredients like potting soil, crushed coral, etc...if anyone remembers where this is before I find it myself...maybe this could help. And it even gave good results

Archived