Top Shelf Aquatics

Top or no top?

zizmans

This may be a beginner question, but with the range of answers I've gotten I figured it would be a good "discussion" debate. I'm new to the sight, so if it isn't protocal to put this kind of post here let me know. I have a 7 gal. bow with the JBJ 36watt combo clamp on light. For those of you who have seen it I'm sure you know that it leaves the top of the tank completely exposed. Good? Bad? I'm thinking of a P. clown and a pygmy angelfish. Should I get a top because of jumping? Does it inhibit proper evaporation? glass? acrylic? cost difference? Curious as to your response I have a felling we'll get alot of different opinions.

don't worry, this forum is de-militarized any and all q's are free to roam. ;)

all fish can jump ime (limited). the top inhibits that to most degrees. i like having a top to protect my lights (if they're open) but they're not necessary (if you take the jumping gamble). a glass top is better as they do not warp. the acrylic is a natural uv filter but that's really unnecessary.

as you touch upon a top will add to your heat but limit your evaporation. a very key issue for nanos versus the larger traditional reefs which due to their inherently larger volumes can withstand a loss of a gallon or two a day. a pint or quart loss for a nano can be devastating (remember a 10g's water surface area is about 20% of a 90g but a 90g has 9x the volume).

it depends on which factors are more critical to you (fish, evaporation, heat, contamination, etc.).

I'm pro-top for the reasons Tiny mentioned. Also I'm a lazy ass and scraping salt creep from bulbs/reflectors is a kick in the pants.

AZDesertRat

No Top ! It will just collect condensation and salt and block the light. PITA. If anything use eggcrate cut to fit.

I'm with satchmo and Tiny. Get a glass top and slow down your evaporation, prevent 20 to 50 dollars worth of dried fish on your carpet, protect your lights and prevent salt creep. It doesn't limit your lighting as long as you give it a quick wipe with freshwater once in a while to remove any salt build up. Its a hell of a lot easier to do this than scrub off heat dried salt creep all over your light fixture. The only possible negative to a top is if you are having overheating issues with your tank which can be fixed other ways anyway.;)

technoshaman

I have a acrylic form fiting top for my cube nano. It's nice but the salt creeps up on the underside and I have to rinse it in fresh water every other day or so. I am a proponent of covers since I keep jumper type fish (wrasses, gobies, jawfish). If you don't want the heat issues with a glass cover go buy some eggcrate from Home Despot and cut it to fit your top. The light loss is minimal (some say have the narrow part towards top) and it will stop all but the tiniest jumpers.

I have JBJ light's and am not using a top. Touch wood never had a over heating problem as of yet.

But i don't think you should keep a pygmy anglefish in a 7gal :)

Really? I've talked to 2 different lfs, and they said OK. They also said NO to other more expensive fish. The JV angel I was looking at is 1 inch or so, adult 3-3.5. Why do you say no?

AZDesertRat

I don't think you could keep enough fresh live rock in a 7G to keep one alive for long. They like to pick at polyps and other goodies on the rock and would eventually starve. You would be better off with a six line wrasse or maybe a clown goby, both can be very colorful and will stay small.

Archived