Pod Your Reef

what to test when?

zizmans

Hello pros. My tank is just finishing it's cycling. My question is what to test for and when. My lfs guy told me that my test kit with amonia, nitrate, trite, ph was a waste of money because I won't need to use it anymore. I also have tests for calcium, alkalinity,salinity. Also kh (?). I have a 7 gal, 7 lbs live rock, live sand, 36 watt combo, aquaclear 200, piccolo skimmer. How often should I do each test?

Hi Ziz, welcome.

First lesson: Your LFS guy don't know squat.

Keep doing everything else as you've been throughout the cycle, 'cept maybe once a month or so to make sure there aren't any invisible crashes going on (snail dead and stuck in your powerhead inlet, etc.)

Welcome to Nano Reef!

I noticed that you have about 5 threads going at once about various topics. I would recommend that you first read as much as possible about his new hobby in various books and to use the flashing Search button located above this thread to help you find answers to some of your questions. Not doing any research and posting lots of questions is a red flag for flames. Just thought I'd let you know.

As far as testing goes, I test my salinity once every couple of days. The salinity will increase with evaporation, so adding fresh water (not salt) to the tank will keep the salinity at a fairly stable rate. I test my ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and calcium about once a week, mid-week since I do a 10% water change on saturdays. Just MO on that.

I agree about the LFS guys. Don't listen to a word they say!! Most of them really don't know much about keeping reef tanks. Read Read Read.

I think you also posted about your tank's cycle somewhere. You didn't mention when you started your tank. That would help. If you put uncured rock in there, it's going to take several weeks for all the die-off to occur and for the tank to stabalize. Be sure to keep up with the testing, so you will know when it stabalizes. Don't be tempted to rush this. Patience is a huge part of this hobby.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Archived