Top Shelf Aquatics

piccolo skimmer

zizmans

I'm having some real trouble with my piccolo skimmer. I have it inside a aqua-clear 200 outside of my tank, hooked up to a tetratec 150 air pump. I can't get the damn bubbles at the right level. Every time I adjust it to where the bubbles are right at the bottom of the top reciever cup (don't know if that is what it is called) an hour later it's bubbling right into the top?! Either that, or it is not getting high enough. The lfs wasn't alot of help because they sell the item, but no one has used it, and the company is in northern europe. Any suggestions?

I suggest you send it to me :)JK ! I need a small skimmer, but the closest LFS that sells it is 100 miles away, and they have to order it. But I was planning on using a piccolo or a super skimmer I. I aso heard they need constant adjustment.

MrConclusion

Skimmer bubbles change as the surface tension in the tank changes. Sometimes just adding food, chemicals, etc. will make the skimmer foam like crazy, or maybe kill the "head" so it doesn't skim at all. Some skimmers are more forgiving in "level control" than others.

I suggest setting the skimmer level low, so it isn;t skimming anything but the occasional very heavy crud. If your tank is clean and well balanced, it may not skim much of anything but that's good. Over-skimming removes a lot of good stuff.

I don't know much about air pumps, but I've heard you need a good pump for those skimmers. Maybe someone who is familiar with pumps can tell you if the tetratec is good enough, or recommed a pump for you.

Welcome to the world of skimmers!

Although I have no experience with air stone skimmers, I have "dealt" with my skimmer for 4 years and know some tricks.

Even with the best skimmers, you have to tweak/cuss/tweak again/cuss againX) ......before they work for a month or so. Then repeat the cycle after you cleaned out the crusties from the PH. Since you're using an air stone skimmer, I'd set the bubbles (I assume you have a valve on the air line?) at a position so they don't flow up into the cup and leave it for a day or two. Hopefully, you should start seeing some crud. Also, make sure you use a wooden air stone and change it frequently (bimonthly).

Thanks for the replies. My skimmer has calmed down to an exceptable level, I guess it's just the tank cycling that's creating all the large bubbles.

Archived