ReefCleaners.org

Should I tear my nano down?

andrewkw

when you upgraded did you tear down your nano?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Once your larger tank was setup did everything go in the new tank?

• Yes right away
    • No, nano forever
    • Yes, but later on

I am this close to tearing down my nano. It would be a lot easier to run 1 tank instead of 2, not to mention cheaper since I could move my collection of corals to my nearly bare 112 gallon tank.

The only thing stopping me is I am really happy how it looks. Its been running since the end of december 05.

Just curious what everyone else did when they went big.

I am facing the same issue..

I just moved my livestock and coral from my 24g Nanocube w/Nanocustoms hood to my new 70g Oceanic. I have the 'Cube sitting there now with some beatiful live rock and live sand as its only occupants.. I hate to part with it after all the time & money invested in it, but I don't know what to do with it..

Do I make it a FOWLR tank?

A small aggressive tank?

A seahorse tank?

A shark tank? (lol)

Any thoughts? (Sorry if I'm hijacking here)

ReefApprentice

Leave it. For a Nano all you have to do is top off and stuff. Once you get sick of it then put all of the stuff in or whatever. Make it special. MOWLR

I had two nanos. One was basically curing rock and housing the new fish for the 75 gallon. I ended up taking most of the corals from my "nice fish" cube and putting in the big tank. I then put the nice fish in the other cube with a few pieces of coral and some rock. I still have a cube that just has rock and sand in it. I'm getting another tank (at the woman's request) which will be around 50 gallons. I think that will end up being FOWLR. I still need to find a place for the nice fish.....

Robb

you could use it as a grow out reef or a qt for the larger reef.

The main reason to shut down would be to get everything going in my 112 gallon, but also to save money. I could keep it as a qt, however I'd like to sell my light fixture and skimmer if its not going to be as nicely setup as it is.

Some days I look at the tank and think I'm going to pull everytihng out now. Other days I look at it and dont want to. I did frag my button polyps and put about half my colony in my 112. So the movement has begun..

Why not just do that, slowly frag from your NC into the 112, then when thats complete you can take the corals from your Nano and sell them or go get a store credit to help pay for different corals for you 112. and Finally after that then you got a nice future Frag tank or Quarentine tank.

Wish i had your problems, Right now my house is only big enough for my 12gal. AP and my 26gal Bowfront Planted FW tank. A 112 would be sweet. My buddy has a 180gal bowfront Reef tank. I about go into Convulsions everytime i see it.

I am upgrading to a bigger tank as well and will be using my 12G JBJ as a small terreriam once my new 40 finished being built. If you have any money or time concerns just get rid of the smaller one. If not you will find your self dumping more money into it. why not sell it off and use the money towards your big tank set up. Another option would be to use it as a frag tank and sell the frags to pay for maintanence on the big tank.

Archived