inTank Media Baskets

New 5.5G Setup...

jackobox

I'm going to start puting together my 5.5G Nano this weekend and wanted to get a few last details about the tank that I'm not sure about.

I've decided to go skimmerless on this setup, no fuge either. For loading I'm going to have to usual bluelegs and snails, some softies and MAYBE a fish. I was thinking about some SPS, but I don't think I want to spend the money on extra lights and skimmer I may need.

What I haven't decided on was how much lighting I'll need. I've been bargain hunting on lighting and trying to find something reasonable. I've been looking at OfficeMax at clamp on lamps for about 10$, only problem is their only 13 watt lamps and was thinking about using just 2. Would this be enough light for softies??? Or does anybody have any other PC shortcuts that aren't going to cost as much as JBJ???

My last issue is how deep for sand??? I still use the same sand depth as other reefs right?? My 40G has about 4 inches and I'm assuming I have to do the same here...am I right???

Any help you guys to give me would be greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at a Nano system and my first venture into a skimmerless system.

ThankYou,

-Jonathan

You wont need a skimmer, even for sps, but i don't think they tank is big enough to support sps either. But I am in no way an expert on that. As far as lighting goes, 2 13 watts should be good for some softies. You can go to lowes and buy the bookworm clamp on lights made by bayco for 20 bucks a piece and switch out the bulbs if you wanted. Why not think about getting a single 28 watt and making your own hood for it? Just some thoughts. Hope this helps.

I have a great product for you! I just set up a 7 gal. I found a clamp on light made by JBJ, looks sleek and is about $55 with 36 watt combo bulb included. With your size tank that should be ample gallonwatt ratio for softies. i live in seattle and got mine at blue sierra, don't know where you live but I'm sure you can find one at lfs or online. I'm very happy with mine.

I've looked at the JBJ, but if I'm going to go with that wattage, I'd like to have two bulbs, if I don't like the color I can do something with it. I'd rather have the full 10,000K bulb and full actinic bulb, just my preferance I guess. Only problem is I can't find anything just over 13 watts, like an 18 watt or something.

I've seen a lot of stuff on here about bookworks and stuff, just wondering if you guess have checked out places like OfficeMax or Staples. One of the two has some really cheap 13 watt setups, they're only desktop setups, but if I remember correctly 10-15$$ My mom got one for 5 bucks on sale. Just something to keep the eyes peeled on.

My last question on the DSB, same depth as I would normally have?? 4 inches or so, what are you guys running for a depth??

-Jonathan

I have the same tank as you. I bought (2) 13 watt 50/50 bulbs from AH Supply ( www. ahsupply.com ). After shipping I spent about $40 including the bulbs (10,000k/ Dark Blue). I ripped out the old light in the hood and installed it with no problems. I do have an issue with excessive heat but I have a cooling fan to take care of it.

I run 3x13 (AHS) on my 5.5. Yes you can use the lights from wally world or office stores if you are into DYI, but you will have to order/buy higher K bulbs for them. Most come with 2700 or 4100K bulbs.

I run a 2-3 inch sand bed in my 5.5. 4 inches in a 5.5 won't leave you much head room for corals.

Alrighty then...I think I may just end up with the JBJ. I've done some looking around and can't seem to find what I want, I'd like the option of two bulbs, one for placement reasons, I can move them individually and two smart lights just don't look as bright as one 10K and one actinic with the same wattage...anybody else notice this???

Right now I have 240 Watts over my 40G and that works down to 6 watts a gallon (I hate the measurement, because it's depth that matters, not gallons). With 36 watts over a 5.5, that ends up beinga little over 6...For some reason it seems like more.

Lizbeth-what do you have in your tank for bio-load?? I'm curious as to what you're keeping for corals and livestock, I haven't really decided on what I want in it, but would like to know what others have so I can estimate what I can put in it.

I'd like any input for fish corals inverts, I've never dealt with such a small tank and since I'm not using a skimmer, overloading seems quite easy to do.

Thanks for the help...:)

Jackobox, really, you should look into AH Supply . You'll get great products and their stuff is easy to setup and you can get the bulbs you want that way too. I'm going to be setting up a 3 x 13w on my 2.5g in the next week or so and building my own hood.

For a sand bed, probably around 2-3". You won't get a DSB effect, but it's still LS, and will leave you some room for LR and water!

;)

E

Hey Erik,

Well I checked out your link and it seems the right way to go for me. I have one question on bulbs and what you use, they have two different types of actinic, one is warm blue and the other drak blue...I'm kinda weary about that, I'd rather see Actinic O3. Which are you using or are you getting bulbs elsewhere?

-JOnathan

JackoBox,

You'll definitely wan't to go w/ actinic 03. All that other light, dark garbage is just a coating on the bulb and is not really creating the correct spectrum. Good question BTW. Everyone should read this. I bought a coated bulb and hate it. It makes my tank look like garbage!!

HTH

;)

E

Jonathan,

Bioload;

Newman the damsel

2 margarita snails

1 blue leg hermit

1 left handed hermit

A load of xenia

4ish blue mushrooms

5ish green striped mushrooms

3 ricordia mushrooms

Some Zoos

2 bunches of green button polyps

1 small head of branching frogspawn

Some razor macro and some brown that I can't remember the name of

A few small tan starfish hitchhikers

And a hopefully recovering brainlike thing from the 20 that needed some medical attention. :)

That's what's in there right now.

hmmmm...I was expecting more of a cleanup crew in there, like the usualy 1 per gallon snails and hermits, but then again with one fish there isn't the excess waste of a larger tank with more fish.

I've heard recent thoughts that the xenias are especially good for tanks that go skimmerless because there's thought that they are nutrient exporters just as the algaes used in fuges...I'm thinking of dumping a few in there and letting them go.

As far as what I'd like to put in the tank, I was hoping for:

-xenia

-various zoos or buttons

-a few crabs and snails

-tree coral and maybe a bubble

-cleaner shrimp

-some sort of small fish...kinda want an entertaining blennie, but not sure what would be my best bet in such a small tank.

YOu guys over here are much more help than the nano forum at reef central...I'm liking this place much more,

THANKS!!!

-Jonathan

OK, I decided that I want 2 32W bulbs on this tank and can't find anything that seems like a reasonable price. Anybody have any sites that sells a premade fixture or a reasonably priced DIY???

-Jonathan

IMO again, you wont find a better price than AH Supply for DIY PC kits. If you don't think they are resonable, maybe you should remember, LIGHTING ISN'T CHEAP.

(all this on a light note BTW)

Check 'em out.

;)

E

I have checked out the page and seems that they have some ok prices...I just want to save myself the hassle of doing ti myself. That's what I do all day at work and would really like to avoid it, but seeing as nobody has just what I want it looks like I'm going to have to go that way....grrrr

I found one site that sells a 2 X 32W fixture, but they want 180$ for it and I'm sure as hell not going to spend that.

Well thanks for all the great input, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll post some picks when it's all said and done.

-Jonathan

Jonathan, I have had more of a clean up crew in there at times. Some of them kicked the bucket, some were moved to other tanks. That's what it has now and it seems to be working fine.

I was going to get some blue legs and throw a couple in there but Jeff's was out of stock yesterday.

Be careful about the bubble coral, they can have long sweeper tentacles that will sting and kill other corals. I dunno about the blennie I think most need bigger tanks.

Thanks for the feedback lizbeth, I was going to add more and just wondering why you didn't have more...anyways.

Here's what I found for lighting choices. I decided to go with a 36X2 light setup, after setting up my 40G I realized it's easier to go big first instead of upgrading.

The first link is Pet Supply Liquidator with their 32X2 system.

The next link is AH Supply .

I know one comes with bulbs and the other doesn't and also one "appears" to have a better reflector setup. Then the issue with the switches and cords. Maybe someone can help me a little, I don't want to say to myself in a month "I wish I got the other one".

Please help,

Thanks

-Jonathan

SeaMountain

I picked up the 2x36er you linked to from PSL. The only thing I wish I had done differently was to opt for the two cords and two switches so I could have the Blue come on earlier and stay on later than the 10k.

St00pid me I never did check the drop down box for the cords when I ordered it! LOL :blush:

I used simple 1x8 boards to construct a simple 3 sided box then overlayed some 1/2 inch plywood for the top. The lights were screwed directly into the top. Simple, but effective and easy.

For $75.00 they are pretty nice. Although if you want to forgo the building of a hood... Search for *JBJ Lights* on eBay. They have a neat little "foot" to attach to the sides of the tank.

TGIF Everyone!!!! :D

Hey Jonathan,

WHats up. Welcome to teh 5.5 club! I too am setting up a 5.5 right now. I bought it used off a guy from RC. It came with the 48w JBJ, which I like but am giving to a friend of mine :). Dave ESPI is building me a canopy right now that will house a MH/PC combo. Im jonesin for that BAD, but I can wait. I just wanted to wish you luck with your tank and keep me posted on your progress.

Ray

Hi reef experts!

I am setting up a 5.5g reef with 7 lbs of live rock and some sand. Just wondering if I need a filter at all if I use a powerhead? Also, can I use less than 1 inch of sand? Thank you very much

Peter

Less than 1 inch?? You can do whatever you want, I just bought one of those cheesy prepackaged bags of livesand at petco

(20 lbs) and dumped that in, I ended up with about 2.5 inches and live the way it looks. I got live rock a week ago and there are already worms and stuff burrowing.

I don't know about less than an inch, if you have any borrowing fish then you'll be in trouble. My only other concern would be denitrification, if you add enough live rock that could do it, but I'm not expert on sand depth so you may want another opinion.

Check out Dr. Ron on reefcentral, I guess that's supposed to be his specialty and he could probably give you a much better answer. Post what you plan on doing and concers.

-Jonathan

I run a whisper filter just for some surface turbulence, there's nothing in the filter except my heater. So the answer is no, I don't have any filtration.

-Jonathan

Let me rephrase that...The only filtration that I have is my live rock and live sand, I don't run filter cartidges or a skimmer.

-Jonathan

Archived