Top Shelf Aquatics

Feather Dusters

JJshiv

Do feather dusters have any beneficial features besides looking good? I was thinkin of gettin one or two but then I was thinkin all I really wanna add to my tank from now on are things that will benefit it in some way. I know they eat phytoplankton and other small organics or whatever, but will they help to clean the water? Thanks for any info.

P.S. I did do a search first and didnt find any good answers.

I would say as a general rule they do not clean the water. They require a lot of nutrition. I have read alot of posts from people that say that thiers slowly starved to death because of lack of food and kept getting smaller and smaller until death.

• 2 weeks later...
coralreeferkim

hey JJshiv, I just got a feather duster today, but from experience

with other filter-feeders, i.e. X-mas tree worms, flashing scallop,need to you need tofeed often and the types of food they consume, i.e.

phytoplankton, is not something you can just net out of the

tank uneaten. If anything, they contribute to water quality problems. I dose my tank 2x dailyand do fequent small water changes 2x

a week. Personally, I think the beauty of these types of

animals, is worth the effort. (Then again, I'm an idiot, I also

purchased a feather star today)

they Rawk d00der.

they eat a lot of protiens out of the water, and also indeed do filter feed. Supplemntal foods are a bonus, and I use phyto planktons and stirring the sand bed to re susspend sediment and particles of nutrients on occasion will keep them happy.

PS: always look fer a thread BEFORE posting. there was an EXACT titled topic 15 topics down from this one. ;)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=9664

ther is a link provided on them there.

Archived