SaltCritters.com

coldwater question?

deacon hemp

deacon hemp

I've been interested in seting up a type of biotope for my next tank,at first i was thinking of a planted and mangrove setup.I went to my pubic aquarium today to take pics and i was blown away by the coldwater biotope tanks they had.Does anybody here keep a coldwater reef on this board?if so i would like to know if u would use normal reef salt and other params.temp,ca needs,lighting,ect.interesting note one tank had just an air tube for movement a 30 gal though!?

One thing to keep in mind is condensation. Depending on how cold your talking about a glass tank will form condensation that can be a big problem. An acrylic tank would be the best way to go. Also depending on the temp you would have to run a chiller almost 24/7.

deacon hemp

Thanks deskjockey once again!The tanks were from vancover island biotope theme's and are pretty darn cold,i figured on the chiller 24/7.I didn't know about the condensation thing thou.These tanks have to be the most interesting tanks i have ever seen.

Anybody a bristle star fan?

Hey, who's the guy from Alaska, who was going to grab 40* NSW for his tank?

That's the guy that's gotta try to replicate this shhttufff. Hell, maybe think of a way to incorporate a sulfer vent and you've got a deeeeppp sea environ.

Just cut a hole in the home and have a "wall unit" tank. No chiller, just "sunning the bunns" of the tank in the frigid Northwest.

Archived