SaltCritters.com

MiniBow 2.5 filter question

Phixion

I picked up an MB2.5 today from Wal-Mart. Same price as anone online, minus shipping. Anyways it comes with the included Whisper internal canister filter or rather a Tetra Power Filter. Is this ok to use, or would I be better with a HOB Whisper or AquaClear filter? I'm not sure the best or most ideal to get, but I'd prefer to keep it under $20 for whatever route I go. Also would a Mini/MicroJet pump be necessary for added flow, or will the filter be sufficient enough flow wise? I Do plan on getting the CoraLife 10w 50/50 bulb for the meantime. And heater wise I was considering the Theo Mini Heater as it's compact and flat. Exception of the weekends, my office where I plan to have and keep the tank, the A/C is usually around 70-72F so heat shouldn't be a problem 80% of the time. On the weekends however, the A/C system is turned off.

You could get away with the included filter I'm sure. For flow, I would go with an Eheim compact powerhead. They are tiny and would have ncie flow for that size. A different HOB filter would probably be good enough for flow.

snowlancer2720

^^^definately...i had one on a 2.5mb a while back, and it would blow the sand around when it was turned all the way up

^^^definately...i had one on a 2.5mb a while back, and it would blow the sand around when it was turned all the way up

Wow, ok. Well that works then as a nice bonus is it would only be one pump to run, rather than 2...

If there's a Petsmart in your area you could pick up an AC50 for $19.99 and make fuge mods to it. It's advertised as $19.99 on their website so, just make a printout of that and take it to the store to get it at the internet price. I do this with the Aquarium Pharmceuticals Saltwater Master test kit so I get it for $15.

The flow is adjustable on the AquaClear HOB filters so you don't have to worry about having too much flow with an AC50. I really wish I knew about the Petsmart's internet price for the AC50 before I bought an AC20 for $25 locally and setup my tank.

That's my $.02

-Tim

If there's a Petsmart in your area you could pick up an AC50 for $19.99 and make fuge mods to it. It's advertised as $19.99 on their website so, just make a printout of that and take it to the store to get it at the internet price. I do this with the Aquarium Pharmceuticals Saltwater Master test kit so I get it for $15.

The flow is adjustable on the AquaClear HOB filters so you don't have to worry about having too much flow with an AC50. I really wish I knew about the Petsmart's internet price for the AC50 before I bought an AC20 for $25 locally and setup my tank.

That's my $.02

-Tim

Ahh Petsmart, well it's the same at Petco I just saw online, but our Petco is sucky and doesn't honor online prices in store, UGH! And they have a fantastic saltwater fish and invert selection too (it's the best one in the LA area for saltwater). Actually the 50 is $17.99 at Petco and strangely the 30 is priced at $19.99 on sale, MUST be a typo... Well there's a smaller and crappier Petco near my apartment, so I'll print it out and see if THEY will honor the online price. If not, I'll check out PetSmart. I was thinking though that a larger filter chamber would be good/nice to have but wasn't sure if the 50 was too big or not...

With the AC50 you will definently need to dial down the flow. I have an AC70 on my 5.5G and I had to put a piece of sponge in the intake tube because it was kicking up a ton of sand.

texx

Actually the 50 is $17.99 at Petco and strangely the 30 is priced at $19.99 on sale, MUST be a typo...

No, I see it also at $17.99 until Sept. 7th on their website...good catch!

Also, in regards to flow...I've read that the impellers for the AC20, 30 & 50 are interchangable. The only difference between them being the height of the impeller blades. The taller the blade the more flow (AC50) the shorter the blade the less the flow (AC20). That being said, you could run the impeller from an AC30, or an AC20 if need be, to lessen the flow.

I'm tellin you, I wish I would have come across that info sooner. Having an AC50 with a fuge mod and the flow of an AC20 on my 2.5...ah, well, you live and you learn I guess.

-Tim

Yup, I'm thinking AC50 with AC20 impeller. :) I went to the crappier Petco in my area, both will NOT honor online price. They said since it's warehouse, that's why it's cheaper. Whatever. I'm going to PetSmart instead tomorrow to try out some online price matching... If not, then I'll settle for an MD order, lol!

Archived