Innovative Marine Aquariums

Xenia pulsing back to life!!!

Sahin

Remember before I left I had the problem of something in the tank eating the Xenia, well, it was infact the starfish.

After I removed it from the tank there was no more eating of corals.  I expect the tank simply didnt support his needs.

Well, what I really found amazing was that the tiny 5mm bit of Xenia base that was left...no stalks, just rather like tree roots, has I noticed today grown about 7 new heads or stalks.  The largest was already pulsing!  I think this is some amazing recovery.

The tiny bit was attached to an empty shell and I put it near the bottom of the tank, even so it managed to come back--shows just how hardy some of these corals can be given the right conditions.

I took a photo yesterday, and plan to take another in a few months just to show this amazing recovery.

Well, just thought I'd share.  It certainly would help others knowing that starfish even those such as the orange fromia, when put in inadequate situations will eat corals, therefore they are not 100% reef safe.

Well, enough of me blabbing on. :)

fishymissy

Glad to hear that your xenia is recovering! Amazing isn't it?

When I rearranged some corals I had one mushroom that was attached to two rocks. I ended up cutting the mushroom off the larger piece of rock. The small part still on the big rock I scraped the remains off so it wouldn't just decompose. Or so I thought. Tiny fragments of the shroom are still on that big piece of rock and are regrowing.

This does make me wonder if someone had a dying anemone, could they slice it right down to the base and would the anemone come back? I'm talking about ones like sebae, or bubbletips.....

I'm thinking more along the lines of someone that buys an anemone and it dies not because of poor water quality, incorrect water flow or insufficent lighting in the owners tank, but because of poor shipping, accidents with a powerhead or it's lost all it's zooallanthe. Just a thought.....

That's good to know about the starfish too. I had always read where the fromias were detrius/algae eaters but I guess this proves that they are capable of eating other things.

ladyamanda

that's really neat, the xenia I got mostly died...:/  But there was a little piece that seems to be coming back and thriving now, I don't understand it at all, I hope it's true it "grows like weeds" because I would really like to see it recover, plus I spent $24 for what now looks like a bonsai frag...:)

Amanda, as long as the right conditions are present in the tank, they should grow back no problem.  Mine are growing notciable each day.  its just very cool to see such growth each day.  You dont notice it on large corals, but this tiny bit is just amazing.

Will post pics at the right time, would be a nice thing to see.

Havent got a pic, but just search up orange fromia starfish and you'll get loads of pics.

The one I had was orange coloured and at 2.5inches.

It wasnt a brittle star.

Hope this helps somewhat.  If you have a starfish, make sure there is plenty of food for it to eat, else it will start to eat corals if it gets hungry.

xenias are hardy so theyll survive no matter what. man i had the rock of xenia on one side of my tank now i m finding stalks of xenia on the other side of the tank too...growing like weed...oh yeah how was your trip man.

Trip was good.  Had a nice time.

The British countryside is what is needed as a small break after living in the city for so long....man its like so quiet there...no worry about getting stabbed or shot...air is way cleaner than here in London...very peaceful.

Was at this place surrounded by woods.  It was a nice experiance.  Plus the people I met there; teachers from the USA, social aid workers from Kosovo, albania, social action workers from Kurdistan and others from the far east...man its like we dont even realise just how much alot of people are suffering out there in the world.

Was quite an experiance.  I really enjoyed it.

Had fun too...lots of pretty countryside girls... ;)

well, to me, this are not much different than aptasia (spell?)... same as shroom... i do have some accident in the tank and one shroom got cut off in half and left the base and they regrow (both pices)... and that how I read when people prop them.

except that we try to get rid of aptasia, but we are not try to get rid of xiena or shroom (i read, some people consider shroom to be pest in some tank too, no confirm, been a while i read that).

Archived