inTank Media Baskets

new tank ??'s

twflys

My new setup is still cycling. But, I've noticed a lot of strange things maybe you guys could help with. One, looks like little white cotton balls with a flowering end, kind of opening up a little. The other is my coral line algae growth, started out as a light pink, but now parts of it have turned to a deep maroon that is growing vertically? I assume that it's just excess growth, but want to be sure.

Thanks!

the deep maroon parts can be a sponge or a type of coralline. regardless, they are not detrimental imo. if it gets really bulboous then more likely it's the sponge option. steve tyree's book on sponges (forgot the name) is very helpful in id'ing as his pic are predominantly aquarium-types (i.e. you're more likely to be able to see the same thing vs. scuba diving off fiji)

the cotton balls you mention, are they little sticks with the cotton ball on top like a dandelion in the seed stage? if so they're cryptic feeders (i dunno they're name, sorry). chances are they're in a low flow area? again, harmless to actually useful imo as filter feeders. i'm not sure of their life cycle tho. hth

Archived