SaltCritters.com

Has anyone bought one of these?

onthefly

Actually, I disagree with fuge guy a little...

To turn off the skimmer, you need to block the air intake for the powerhead. By removing the collection cup you will not prevent the unit from skimming, but prevent the unit from collecting the foam that is made. The collection cup can stay where it is.

Wet Worx,

I think you need to consider the two reasons refugiums became popular... Pod growing for fish or corals and nutrient export. Also consider that the size of the fuge's you see out here can't really be big enough for the small tanks and large bioloads that people have in their tanks. I also think that there is a 'NEO-BERLIN' theory out there, where people are not using the Monster/Oversized skimmers as they were in the past but are now using more legitamate sized or undersized skimmers. The system in question has both a fairly small sized skimmer as well as a fairly small sized Fuge. I believe people would be getting a fair amount of usefullness out of both. If what your are trying to get is a Pod population than this should work fine, however if you are trying to export nutrients with a system this small the size of the Fuge is not going to cut it. I really don't think that the skimmer is really big enough to truely strip out that much in terms of trace, and due to the general sizes of tanks discussed here water changes should easily replenish them.

i bought one from him for my 5 gallon nano

works great, I gave him exact size, fits perfect

Soon i will order another for my 45 gallon corner tank

I suppose. On my two nanos, I have fuges as big as the main tank, so all a skimmer would do is strip out the good stuff. It is easy with a decent size fuge to not only keep a decent pod population, but to eliminate the need for a skimmer all together. I use a dsb/plenum along with the mud/macro so I end up with good 'waste-management'...and skimmers are just a backup for after heavy feeding. Im not forgetting why the fuges became popular....they have many uses.

where is dave espi and his cow with horns waste pic?????

DAVE WE NEED YOU OVER HERE!

And "Fuge Man" What? You are a fuge what? Huh? Yeah and I am the "Super hot chick cant resist me when I talk about Nano Man"

Belive that and i will trust you with a fuge question.

Dude! First off, why are you flaming Fuge Guy? He only listed that as his name because he appears to make a KA product! He is, in fact, the guy I saw on Ebay before starting the thread. Seems to me he'd know what works best with his product. That would be like you telling Dave or Glazer that they don't know what works best with their custom canopies.

READ the Thread and once you've done that, go to Ebay and read his comments! People like his stuff! It is great priced! And I'm sure Beernuts, Chevytrks, and myself appreciate his talents.

Time to change your crack pipe bro, it's getting rusty!

I finally got mine in the mail today took 11 days to get it from canada. The thing is massive and dosn't fit my tank at all after trying to install it on my tank i nearly destroyed everyhing in the process. More info can be found Here if I can't manage to find a way to get it to work it will be for sale if anyone is interested... <.

I don't quite understand why the fuge has to be so high up (which seems to be causing most of the problems?).

Is the intake too long for the height of the 7 G tank, otherwise?

Reader

If I didn't have it on the wood it would have to hang on the back of the tank. I wanted it to sit on somthing rather than hanging on the tank I don't trust somthing so large on my tank. It actually only needs 6" to stand on but I lack a 2x4 so I used the 2 4x4's .

One of the main problems it seems is that my Min-Jet 404 dosn't have the power to fill the fuge over its output so its half air/water making bubbles that hit my power head next to it and exploded to millions of micro bubbles all over the tank. It looked like a hot tub : It might work with a larger pump but the tank is really not that big the only idea I have is to make a slump with a bucket put a larger pump in there pump that into the fuge. That will take 2 pumps and I doubt the mini 404 could keep up with the larger causing the whole set up to overflow.

Ah, I was wondering why you had it so high!

Couldn't you take a saw to the 2X4s and cut several pieces of the correct height to put under the fuge and support most of the weight?

Reader

Hey Beernuts! Sounds like you had a bad day!

How about a 4x4 and a 2x4 stacked? It looks like you could lower the fuge about 2" or so. That might help reduce the bubbling. Didn't Fuge guy say you had to use a Rio 600 (or equivalent) to drive the thing? I'd ditch the sweep and get a more powerful PH to fill the fuge above the outlet, that would definitely reduce bubbling. Use the mini404 in the tank (maybe behind the LR on a spray bar or something). That way you would lose too much "viewing" space. Sorry, not a fan of sweepers!

I think wetworks had some good ideas on the other board as well.

As for the asthetics of the thing, I kind like the idea of viewing the fuge and the tank.

Don't worry, it will be worth it in the long run.

THANKS FOR BEING THE TEST RAT BEERNUTS!!! Just Kidding. Hopefully this can evolve into something we can all agree works.

I see, so the bubbles are all from the overflows. Well, like I sais, try to minimize the "drop" in these areas to minimize the 'undertow of air'.

lol happy to be of service I guess.. word to the wise I wouldn't do this again. The day I decided to order from this guy I had all the stuff to make it my self, My dad talked me out of it. Looking back on it if I would have made it my self it probably would have been much easyer.

Not to put down Fuge Guy at all though. I asked for a 12x4x14 and thats just what I got. The thing is bulit like a tank to which is actually a bad thing now that I am trying to fix the thing now. I am quite syre if this thing was hung on the back of somones huge 75gal tank or what not it would work like a champ.

As I type this I am trying to re plumb this thing. ;)

Archived