Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

When should I start testing?

3twenty5

Ok after about 1 week of research and searching the boards...I have not been able to find a solid answer for my ?

I have a 7g Mini with 2x32 CSL PC"S, I am running a minijet for water flow and no mechanical filter. I added seawater from my LFS and 10lbs LS, 2days later added 10lbs(cured) LR. The rock already some lil feather dusters popping out and doesn't seem to have any die-off. I woke up this a.m. after adding the rock last night and it seems the milkiness of the tank has cleared alot. So when should I start testing my ammonia and nitrate levels? I assume the tank shouldn't spike much bu I am curious when I should start testing the water to see a spike..

Thanks

SeaMountain

I would begin testing for ammonia after a couple of days. Then possibly every other day for at least a week. Once the ammonia shows, if it does, then you can test for nitrites.

I've never tested for nitrates yet, since regular water changes keep water quality under control. Or at least it has in my earlier tanks.

Ammonia ---> Nitirites ---> Nitrates.

Since you've added SW from your LFS, you may not experience any rise in nitrites. You may not see any significant ammonia spike either since the bacteria colony to reduce ammonia to nitrite to nitrates are already established.

Do a baseline test initially to compare against in a couple of days.

thanks....I tested the ammonia the first day I put the water in just to see what I bought, with the water from the LFS and the LS, I had ammonia reading of .25mg

Archived