Top Shelf Aquatics

Dual 250W metal halide

MWehr76364

Was doing some searching on EBay for my 30long tank im setting up and came across CoolTouch Lighting. The have a dual 250W they had a dual 400W but I guess they are sold out. The dual 250W comes w/ a ballast and the fixtures. I need to buy the bulbs and reflector or make my own. There price is like 150.00. Was wondering if anybody has ever heard of them or has used there products? Any info would be good as I know this isn't a ton of money but its more than I want to spend and end up w/ a POS.

Also will this be enough light for a 30long tank? Plan on doing shrooms, rics, frogspawn and maybe a few other things.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry your post didn't get answered before but I've just found it so here goes...

The dual 250W should be excellent for a 30 long and I think you'll find that you may actually want to expand to other more challenging corals like SPS with lighting of that strength. $150 sounds like a really good deal for lighting of this calibre (By UK standards!) so if you haven't already purchased your lights, I'd say go for it!

Good luck with your reef

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

You can never have too much light!! I just put a 150w hqi over my 15g tall. I also have two 36w atinic pc's. The more light the better. Just make sure you acclimate your corals correctly. Give them plenty of time to adjust. When I added my new hqi kit I took the photo period down to 4 hours per day. I am raising it by 30 minutes per week (keeping close watch on the corals reactions all the while of course). No matter how much light you add, it will never be as bright as the sun. But I can't stress enough for you to slowly acclimate them. Also start with the lighting around 14-15 inches above the water for the first week or two and slowly drop it from there. Try not to ever have it lower than 10 or 11 inches from the water though. That is a good stopping distance.

Good luck,

Nathan

Archived