SaltCritters.com

90 gallon sps system

crrichey

Well I finally bit the bullet and started my 90 gallon system that I have always wanted! Here is a list of livestock and equipment:

Lighting:

2 250W HL MH Retrofit Kit (HQI)

18G_Wire_(30ft)

250W_ARO_Ballast

Grounded_Powercord

HQI_MH_Reflector

High_Temp_Wire_Nuts

MH Bulb: 250W HQI 14,000K Phoenix

Filtration:

Berlin Sump BS-1, 23 inch x 12 inch x 14 inch

Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 950 GPH Water Pump

AquaC EV120 Protein Skimmer w/ JG Fitting + Mag-Drive 5 Pump

3 Seio M2600 Super Flow Pump

Aquarium:

90 Gallon RR AGA

75/90 Gallon Upright Stand DIY

Fish list:

1 Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus)

1 Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

1 Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)

2 Tomato Clowns (Amphiprion frenatus)

10 Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis)

1 Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)

Invert list:

20 Astraea Conehead Snails (Astraea tecta)

4 Turbo Snails (Turbo fluctuosa)

1 Bubble-tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

X Giant Clam(s) (Tridacna sp.)

2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimps (Lysmata amboinensis)

Coral list:

X Acropora (Acropora sp.)

X Plating Montipora (Montipora capricornis)

X Branching Montipora (Montipora digitata)

And now the pictures begin! I have a little magic trick I want to show you all

Picture006-1.jpg

POOF!!!

Picture005-1.jpg

The skeleton for my stand. More to come!

Hey Chin, glad to hear you are starting your 90 you want! :happy:

Are those 2 x 2's you used for the frame and will they be strong enough to hold the 90 when it's full?

Tang

At first I wasn't sure but several RC members with experience in stand building assured me that it would be plenty strong. One even went so far as to say that 2x4s are overkill. It is pretty light however something in my gut tells me that it is very strong. Once I wrap it with ply and cover the top and bottom it will be even stronger.

Picture005-1.jpg

That's scary :scarry: It looks cool but it looks kind of fragile. I hope it does work. That's roughly 720 pounds of just water. Those sticks are going to look like chop sticks, lol. Good luck though. :P

For what it's worth, I would put some cross bracing (2-4 on bottom and 2-4 on top) if you decide to keep the 2 x 2's. IME, I would have used 2 x 4's, but go with your gut. Cross bracing will help to displace the load, and since it is already lightweight, 4 or 6 braces wont add much more weight to it. :)

Tang

I will probably add a couple cross braces to the top and bottom but not tonight I don't think the neighbors would like the sound of a hand saw. If it matters to anyone I'm skinning the frame with 3/4" plywood.

I would have just went with 2x4's. They're overkill, but that feels much better than going with the minimum =X

I started putting a stand together for a 98 gallon, and I was using 4x4's.

i'm green with envy. i can only hope one day i will have the privilege to set up a 150 gallon.

Hope your dream comes true :happy:

Just some specs on the frame:

50x20x36" I'm deffinatly going to need a step stool to get into the aquarium due to the height of the stand but there is going to be soo much space to play with on the inside!

Well I did more on the stand today and after a trip though home depot I think that I may end up adding a pair of drawers on the top underside of the stand :D

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Looking good. Are you going to be building a canopy as well. Keep the pics coming.

It won't sit on top of the aquarium it will either hang from the ceiling or be mounted to the wall (hanging is probably the most likely). Here is a crappy diagram :lol:

crappydrawing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well things have been a bit slower than I would like. I attached the top and got lazy so I ditched doing doors and just cut a window screen to fit :D However I will be attaching metal brackets to the stand to prevent side-to-side swaying.

Still needs paint

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

In case u can't tell it is lying on its back

Picture008-2.jpg

Well I finished painting and what a mess I made of the back patio (pics of that to come ;) )! Sorry for the blur on the first shot, I hurt my neck lugging this thing in.

Picture009-2.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

and open

Picture011-2.jpg

Excuse my messy bedroom :)

Picture012-2.jpg

cool stand I like the shades for the front....where did you buy them?

I bought mine from Lowes for $8 however I saw them at Home Depot too. I got a quote from Lee Mar and a tank with corner overflow, 4 holes in the bottom (2 for overflow and 2 for closed loop), and 2 holes in the back (again for closed loop) will be roughly $450 shipped. Its a funny feeling being broke before u ever get the chance to spend the money! Time to start savin' me pennies :happy:

Just a suggestion Turn the shade around so that the string does not show.. Then just reach under a pull the string to open.

Cleaner look. Looks great BTW, shade is an incredible idea.

Bobbi

Just a suggestion Turn the shade around so that the string does not show.. Then just reach under a pull the string to open.

Cleaner look. Looks great BTW, shade is an incredible idea.

Bobbi

As difficult as it was to screw that thing to the stand I think I can manage to overlook the string :happy:

• 4 months later...

You could just pull the string behind the shade from the top without having to turn it around if you didn't want to see it...just a suggestion :)

Roger that.

Archived