Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I've Got You All Beat

minireefman

minireefman

I don't want to sound rude, folks, but I do believe that I have the smallest nano-reef on this site.

Yes, you heard me right. Sure, 1 gallon is small enough, so why would anyone do anything smaller. you ask?

Because we can.

I, Hal, and my friend Jeremy Foreman, have devised and implemented a daring plan. We've taken the standard Betta Hex Tank, and turned it into a nano-reef. That's right, all of a quart of marine goodness, lighted by a 250 watt metal halide bulb.

How, you ask? I'm working on getting a picture of it, so don't worry too much. Here are the details:

Size: 1 quart

Contents:

3 small blue leg hermits, and 1 small gold button polyp

Live rock and sand

Sprig of Caulerpa

Lighting: 1 250 watt metal halide pendant

Heating: The above, plus an ambient room temp of 80 degrees

Filtration: Very tiny, homemade protein skimmer and 50%water changes every other day

Yes, it technically is a nano reef...just a damn small one.

I'll most likely have a pic up in the next few days, so keep your eyes peeled!

-Hal :P

minireefman

Damn straight! It's time we take the nano-reef thing down to the smallest, dumbest size possible...anybody thinking betta bowl? Or maybe a shot glass?

*insert evil laugh of your choice here*

MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-Hal

I dropped a zoo polyp on the ground and then stepped on it. It is now compressed to the point where it displaces 1/1000th a gallon of water, making it the smallest nano tank around.

Spudds.

minireefman

Okay, here's the picture I promised you all, and kudos to duckhuntboy for posting the shot glass pic. I guess we can all be a little silly sometimes.

-Hal

:P

minireefman

No, I don't live in an LFS, but for the amount of hours I put in there a week, you'd swear I did...

No, we maintain a bunch of display tanks there, and it's fairly easy to access supplies and stuff to keep them up and running.

-Hal

sorry to burst your bubble but i got the betta bowl taken care of its a 1/6 gallon betta hex o btw thats a 1/6 gallon if thats a dual betta hex not 1 gallon i measured how much it held wen i bough mine hehe,Chris

um...you all suck, seriously. Brandon429 over at reefcentral has a betta hex thingie like that, SPLIT down the middle, its half refugium, and half display. He lights it with a single 13w PC. He does zero water changes on this, it's a sealed system. He does do some dosing. And yes, it has thrived with soft corals, LPS, and SPS. See? You guys aren't the best! :P

my tank just finished cycling i should be adding stuff to it soon itll be nice soon. how doesnt the lps sting anyting in that tank? even if his is 1/2 fuge its the same water capacity. think he has his setup to a bigger system not sure tho,Chris

well he only had caulastrea in it, but still, his thing was/has been running for months, and no water changes! its stable! lol

SoS, I am now officially declaring that the funnies thing I have seen on these boards, bar none!

I'm still laughing.

One question, why the hazmat suit? afraid of the zoos?

hey tonk, I thought you were heading to fiji to pack live rock? you don't need that job. besides, if you do lose your job, it's just more time that you can tinker with your tank. (that's what I call it these days).

yeah I brought it with the wife last night, but yesterday being 7 yrs, it didn't go over too well. Needless to say, I won't be living in a hut on the beach, more like begging tonka to let me crash at his crib.

tinkering with the tank huh??? I could be the next Glazer couldn't I??

what do you need in a vessel of water for it to be considered a reef?

I mean, oviously salt ansd water., but what else?

UI am making a nano out of a large glass test tube so I can smuggle illegal coral through customs by inserting the test tube in my rectum. I just can not under any curcumstances sit down. the only problemwould be lighting. they don't call it "the place where sun don't shine" for nothing

pulpfictionwatchuphisass.jpg

wanna see my new nano?

"This nano. (holds it up, long pause) This nano reef was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the ####s ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that nano reef was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this nano reef up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of ocean up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the nano reef to you."

Archived