Cultivated Reef

New eclipse tank ? also testing equip

lienSlob

Hello,

I have an elclipse1 hood on a 10 gallon tank. Only added equip is a 25W heater. I should have bought a 50 but oh well. I have about 15lbs fiji rock that has been cycling a month and some sand (i dont know the type). Currently have some livestock in also and they appear well.

My questions (for now):

1. Do i need a powerhead? the eclipse has a water spout coming off the wheel but it doesnt look to effective with all the rock.

2. what is some good testing equipment if necessary. I have nothing right now, just hydrometer. I would rather not spend alot of money and I dont really "tech out" on my tank so I just want the essentials.

3. What is the story with removing the bio wheel and filter? I like the idea of minimal equipment and letting the tank cycle itself but i am a newbie and still prone to mistakes so i like the mental comfort of seeing something "cleaning" my tank at this time.

Thanks alot! when my roomate gets back tommorrow i will post a pic for you guys

I'm running an Eclipse 6 with a microjet powerhead. I set the PH on the lowest flow setting since my tank small, plus it's blowing right at my bubble coral which prefers a lower current. I ran without a powerhead fo about two months then aded it. My perc clown likes to swim in the current.

You definately need to invest in some test kits:

pH/alk

ammonnia

nitrite/nitrate

calcium

Start with these and I'm sure there are more members that can suggest some other kits to have as well.

The biowheel...quite the topic. I have been running my system with the biowheel since day one but am considering taking it out since I can't get my nitrates to go below 3. It doesn't seem to be affectiong my tank inhabitants, but I'm bound and determined to get those nitrates down to zero.

Here's a link to a thread about the biowheel:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...hlight=biowheel

Good luck!

Archived