Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's wrong with my maroon clown?

nd12nc

Hey all, was observing my 10g today and saw that my maroon was acting strange (yes i know the tank is a bit small. However, he's only about 2.5 inches long and im in the process of finding him a new home) anyway, i saw that he was acting kind of letheargic, not swimming around as much as usual, kind of letting the current do what it wanted with him. Also, when i fed today he didn't eat at all :mellow: He seems to be gasping a little bit and acting as if he were going to spit something out of his mouth. Could he possibly have something lodged in his throat?

Everything else in the tank seems perfectly fine, coral, inverts, the watchmen goby. They all appear perfectly healthy. This change baffles me because the maroon has been in the tank so long, I think it's been over a year now. The only recent additions to the tank were five hermits.

I perform weekly waterchanges and last time i checked all my params were at zero.

I'll check the params again right now and update this in a little while.

Any advice, suggestions, or thoughts on what might be wrong with the little guy would really be appreciated. I don't wanna lose him.

Somehow his condition when from bad to worse. He's dead now :mellow: I just dont know what could have killed him.

I have a maroone too and hes in a 10 gallon. I add freshwater to the tank everyday and do water changes 3 times a week. So far hes good. Sorry about your maroone. It sucks to lose a clown since they are so expensive and makes me mad as hell.

Pin

Holy cow. That sucks, sorry to hear about that. I wish i could tell you what happened.

EDIT: The clown may have been stunted, as you said he was only at 2.5" for a year. That could have led to his demise, I'm unsure though.

zach, when i purchased him he was probably 1.5 inches, although i am unsure. I was unaware that a clownfish could become "stunted" I had always planned on moving him to a larger system once he reached a larger size.

I just don't understand how it happened so fast.

Pin, I also added freshwater to the tank daily, but i only did waterchanges once a week. However, whenever i tested my params everything was well within acceptable limits.

zach, when i purchased him he was probably 1.5 inches, although i am unsure. I was unaware that a clownfish could become "stunted" I had always planned on moving him to a larger system once he reached a larger size.

I just don't understand how it happened so fast.

I could be wrong, but yeah, keeping a fish in a too small of a setting can promote stunting... The organs inside the fish continue to grow, yet the body doesn't grow causing bunching and crowding of the internal organs.

Archived