SaltCritters.com

Custom 7.5G Pico

christyf5

Well I tried to get this tank shipped to Canada but no luck. A friend was kind enough to make me one based on the specs I gave him. It turned out fantastic (well I think so :P ).

DSCN5606.jpg

The tank dimensions are 12"x12"x12" for 7.5 gallons total volume. There is a 4" space in the back as an overflow/equipment hiding area which makes the display tank approximately 5 gallons.

I had some troubles finding the proper bulkhead for the "return" (crap town I live in) and had to fashion one out of various plumbing parts I could find. I ended up siliconing a 3/4"" elbow to the return hole and then using various reducers to get to 1/2" to accomodate the small mini-jet 404 powerhead (106gph) I was using for the return. Eventually I'll find the proper bulkhead and plumbing somewhere else.

DSCN5622.jpg

Finally I was able to get the tank up and running with about 4 lbs of live rock and a shallow 1" sandbed of sugar sand. I also added a piece of loc-line to the return outflow to direct water upwards instead of shooting into the sandbed.

DSCN5619.jpg

DSCN5621.jpg

The tank is lit by a 2x18W CF coralife unit with 50/50 bulbs. The lighting is great for viewing but not so hot for my camera which doesn't quite get the colors right.

Anyways on to the photos.

DSCN5645.jpg

DSCN5646.jpg

All of the livestock was "rescued" from my 90 gallon reef. I had a bunch of evil crabs in there that were finishing off various soft corals (zoos, ricordeas) which necessitated that I move them out of that tank quickly. I temporarily set up a 5 gallon tank to house them while this tank was being built. Most of the colonies have come back nicely, some faster than others but at least there aren't any evil crabs in there anymore except for a single hermit crab I put in there for some action.

Ok so, I'm looking for some feedback on my tank. Specifically the aquascaping (its just two rocks, I'm wondering if I should add more or leave it to a more "minimal" look, however I'm running out of real estate) and the flow (mini-jet 404, 106gph). I'm used to my big reef which has a crapload of flow. I don't want the sand blowing around but I'm wondering if thats going to be enough flow to keep everyone happy.

Comments much appreciated.

TIA,

Christy :)

PS. Sorry about the photo sizes, photobucket isn't being very friendly tonight.

Sweet tank... I like it a lot. B)

I'm sure if you needed a little more flow you could swap the 404 for the MJ 606, flow should be fine...

Where did you get your lights? Could you post a link?

I got the lights locally as a special order. I'm sure they're available at most stores that carry Coralife products.

Here is a link to the one I have :D

sweet, thx for the link....

I second the height thing, maybe a couple more pieces for height. Or you could add coral like a kenya tree for some height too... that would be sweet, looking for a little leather like that, maybe a small toadstool for my tank too... ;)

thats a very nice tank. as for increasing height, maybe you can just add some base rock to the bottom instead of adding on top. just a suggestion.

latez...

Dude, that tank is awesome!!! Your friend is quite the craftsman! I wish I had the tools to work with acrylic like that....*drooling at the thought of it*

-Tim

Archived