ReefCleaners.org

Red Sea Pico

yankeereefer

yankeereefer

Coral wise, I'm not sure yet - I really like the look of what riotj had a few months ago. I have a couple of rics that are splitting and a fair amount of xenia and zoas so I may start there. I also have a couple of shrooms that I might try and move over to it.

As for the tank - It's pretty cool - Downsides are that it's acrylic and prone to scratches - I will also probably have to trim the intake tube from the filter as it comes pretty close to the sandbed.

The stock light fixture sits very high above the tank. As I stated earlier, I cut down the lamp stem - Took me half an hour with dremel and pliers.

All in all it's nice for the price! I paid $10 for it out of the petco clearance bin

can't argue for the price -- my 1.5G was $20 + the flat heater - luckily I had the lights and powerhead from my 3G to put in there.

Oh and I have new FTS's for that tank I'll post here in a few

Yankeereefer

Be careful about that hydor heating if it's the one I'm thinking of - it doesn't really have a thermostat and says something arcane on the box to unplug it when the temp gets above 78 or something to that effect.

yankeereefer

Thanks riotj -

Depending on what I see the next couple days, I may not even use it. I think the light and LED mod I have planned may be enough to keep it warm. I was a little leery about not being able to control the temps

When you had your setup, you used the stock filter, yes? Did you put anything into it? It's way to small to be a useful fuge - I was gonna stick purigen or carbon pad in it myself. Just looking for options.

YR

yankeereefer

So far I am not seeing a need for supplemental heater - Pico had light on all day, I got home around 5:00 or so and it was 80 degrees. Lights have been off for 30min now and temp is 80 - Will continue to observe.

Chunked a hermit in tonight - I also added some xenia, a stray mushroom and an oddball piece of leather thats been in a shotglass for what seems like forever. To top it off, I stuck a small ball of chaeto in the back corner of the display.

Everyone's kind of in shock right now, so no pix until tomorrow.

I don't get a whole lot of surface agitation in this "tank" - I had an idea to create a surface skimmer and hook it to the HOB intake so I went to HD and Menards looking for small diameter pvc connectors - None to be found -

I found 7/16 tubing that fits the intake pieces. I can maybe use it where I was going to use the pvc. I can stick the tubing into the strainer end and bend the tubing upward for the strainer intake - The other end of the tubing will get stuck back into the up tube into the HOB - Think it'll work?

If it doesn't, oh well $1.99 (for the tubing) down the drain. I'll chance it I guess

yankeereefer

The shroom is just sitting on the sand up against the LR. The xenia is threaded to a small piece of rubble and the leather is just sitting on the piece of branch LR on the left. The leather will ultimately have to be glued or sewn - I think either the snail or hermit knocked it down overnight

Temp went down to 78 ovenight - I still think it will be okay for now without heater - It's cooling off here so the AC will be getting adjusted soon.

Stuff looked okay this morning - Shroom relaxed a bit and the xenia's fingers were flexing. The leather wasn't extended yet as the lights were off. The leather was fine last night after the move. Assuming everything is good when I get home, I'll try and post some pictures

YR

yankeereefer

Aaaarrrrghhh!

I thought I spotted it last night, upon closer inspection this afternoon once arriving home - It's comfirmed....I have APTASIA! :angry:

Lot's o' little buggers on the centerpiece LR - I guess I had to get it once in my reefin' experience. I'm gonna trot off to the LFS and see if the have a smallish pep shrimp to put in the pico. If not, I'll have to get some Joe's Juice this weekend

How's Joe's Juice work? Do you have to inject it? If so, I'll likely have to let it grow a bit before killing it. What about pulling the LR and scrubbing it?

On a better note, the shroom has relaxed, the xenia was happily waving (till I moved the rock - Now it's p***ed off again. The lil' leather was knocked down again, I'll glue him up later tonight. Not worth shooting pix just yet, so I'll have to keep y'all in suspense for another day (more likely a few hours at least) :D

YR

joe's juice works awesome....Just spray some by the mouth of the aiptasia (it thinks its food) like you are feeding any other coral.

yankeereefer

It won't bother any other filter feeders? I'm diabetic so I have access to lot's of syringes, that should help isolate the exposure, but I'm worried about the other tank residents

yankeereefer

Well heck!

Called a couple of LFS - The closest one doesn't have any pep's and doesn't know what Joe's Juice is. The other one I called has pep's and Joe's, but he's a bit of a haul from here. I have one other place I'll stop at on the way home tomorrow to see if they've got shrimp and Joe's....

YR

The hermit or snail knocked the leather down again overnight, so I put a little gel on it and stuck it in place this morning.

Came home from work and it's still where I put it and has some polyps extending- I stopped at the LFS on the way home - No Joe's Juice, but they had a bunch of real small peps so I got one to hopefully deal with the little aptasias that I see on my LR.

We'll give this a shot and worse case I'll have to resort to Joe's. Shrimp is bag acclimating in my 10g right now, will switch to drip in a little while

Other news - Tank is a steady 79 degrees still without the hydor installed. This will probably work for now but may have to change once winter comes

OK so here's some pics:

FTS

DSC01765.jpg

Xenia

DSC01767.jpg

Shroom

DSC01769.jpg

Leather

DSC01775.jpg

I'll post pix of the shrimp once he's acclimated and introduced to the pico

Gonna leave shortly to get krylon for the 20H and water for this weekend's w/c and possible 10g >> 20H tank conversion (maybe)

YR

Hooray for the pepermint shrimp!!

I woke up this morning and turned on the lights - No more aiptasia! I guess I was one of the lucky ones in getting a shrimp that'll eat it.

I'm gonna take some palys and / or zoas from the 10g for the pico later today - Will post later with pics of the pico and my lil hero!

YR

yankee reefer, looks good so far. I had lots of problems with the hermits and astrea knocking things over. Then I got some rock with stomatella snails. They IMO are the best clean up crew for algae. Very thin, very fast and don't knock anything over. Too bad they don't sell them.

You probably can sell the peppermint shrimp for a lot once he's done his job. I've also used part B of nanoreef supplement which is basically calcium and injected it into them - gone! They squirt back so be careful. Someone I know had to go to the hosptal because it wass squirted back into his eye.

I'll probably keep the pep - He can stay in the pico till he gets bigger - Then he can join the other one in my 10g (soon to be 20H)-

The hermit is pretty docile so he may stay - The astrea may go into a bigger tank and make periodic appearances.

All in all, I'm pretty happy thus far.

YR

• 2 weeks later...

just bought one of those tanks. black pico with a black light. also looking for 50/50 lighting. any website suggestions? I couldnt find your thread riotj..

Archived