inTank Media Baskets

Update - 2.5g after 3 months

riotj

Okay no remarks from the reef police about the fish. They are pico size and will be moved to bigger quarters as they grow. Other than that what do you think about my work in progress? I'd be happy to send the pic to you via email so that you can enlarge it and see the detail. pm me if interested.

Picture078.jpg

drnkjunglist

really that is just sad, i might understand having a blue tang in a 10G untill it grows a bit and you move it up to a bigger tank. a 2.5 is just way to small. other then that nice tank

Thanks folks

Guys I am using a Current USA 18W 50/50 with the moonlight. I also use and change a tablespoon of purigen every month as the filtration and have some cheato behind the rocks and in the filter with live rock rubble. All things are A-okay. No nitrates or anything else. Because there are LPS in there, I began dosing a drop each of Kent Marine NanoReef Supplements A and B every other day. The tang has been in there since Memorial Day. He's a pig

For you reef police, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would reccommend that you go scuba diving or even snorkeling over a reef, to see where the fish and corals that were taken to support your tank live - even the little blennies and gobies have 1,000,000s of gallons to swim around. That will put it totally in perspective - on that scale even a 250g tank is sad. It's also sad that aside from a few clowns and pseudochromis, fish and most everything else that we all have in our tanks don't have the ability to live a natural life and procreate as they do in the natural wild for advancement of the species.

But it's a hobby that I love, albeit maybe even a cruel one when you see where they were taken from.

hey Joe, why IN THE WORLD WOULD U PUT A TANG IN A 2.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha just playin! anyways that day i didnt get any zoas big enough to frag but i got 2 tiny ones when they grow ill let u know i want those BlowPops though:) nice tank and ur right u do need to get less green but atleast u dont have the same problem i do right now....algea! nice tank love the tang and firefish,let me know when u want to frag those blow pops though!:):):):):):);)

I think the tank is beautiful and elegant. It's cool that you have the means and ability to safely (IMHO) keep a young tang in the 2.5, and a place for it to also be well kept once it outgrows that home. Looks awesome to be part of the scene in the meantime, that's for certain.

2.5g??? That's awesome!!!

Yankee

My thoughts exactly! If you hadn't told us what it is, I'd have guessed a 12g at the least!

do you use a hob filter???

cb

The HOB is an aquaclear mini, and is on the right side of the the tank and provides a nice current across the length of the tank. I made a mini fuge out of it. live rock rubble, cheato (without it's own light - so I don't know if it's doing really doing anything for the nitrates but it's not dying but i'm not sure it's growing either, a tablespoon of purigen (which I believe helps iwth the nitrates), and a piece of that layered filter media that has everything in it on the return into the tank. The filter media slows the current down so it can't be the full height of the return or water will begin spilling out of the filter. I'd say i have another two months before I need to upgrade. I'm interested in the Aquamedic 9 gallon that has the protein skimmer although my 2.5 is doing fine without one. It is due out in the fall. Again, I believe the secret to success is religious water changes every 7-10 days with this tank and maybe now even the Kent Marine nanoreef supplements since I have some LPS and a clam in the tank. I change about 3/4 gallon so let's say 40% considering the live rock.

Archived