Top Shelf Aquatics

HALLELLUIA!

gabe3eb

Well, as the title suggests, my tank had to tough it out for one week. I bought a light timer the night before I left so that at least there was a normal photo time period... But, the timer I bought was a two prong and my ballasts were all one prong... greeeeeaaat. That was the first problem. So that means that both my tank(28 gallons) and refugium(5.5) were bright the whole time. Also, I obviously had to take a hiatus from my top off water and all of my supplements. I got back last night and they were both in desperate need of top off water, but I couldn't find my hydrometer so I don't really know exaclty how high my salt was, but what is amazing is that all of my coral looked extremely healthy. My new heralds angel is MIA, but my clown is still fine, I would say I am very happy with my luck... :) I leave next friday for 2.5 weeks, this time, I am having a fish sitter. hehe, what is the longest anyone else has left their tanks unattended? I am sure with bigger tanks it is MUCH easier,,,let me know

gaber

The longest I've left my tank was for a whole 24 hours! haha, but seriously, if I were to leave town or something, I'd definitely have someone watch my tank, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Nishant3789

lol i left town for a week once with just a timer on the lights... i had just setup my refugium and was goinggreat for a week but then faied on my like 2 hours b4 i left so i jsut put a powerhead in the fuge and disconnectted it and left the lighton the fuge. the fuge looks good now with lotsa growth! but i gotta tell uy i was scared sh*t for the whole time i was thre the minute i got back i ran to my tank to make sure everything was alive. just my experience good question though

nishant

you had your lights on 24 hours a day for a week?  man.  and your corals all looked good.  thats cool.  glad it worked out for you.  i have been looking for light timers but all the ones i find are standard two prong and my ballasts plugs are three prong.

Yep MX, that was my problem, if I could only find a converter then it would work, maybe radio shack would have it. I wasn't worried about the refugium with the lights since some people do that anyways, but no joke, I have a toadstool leather that had been doing really bad before I left for the trip, but when I got back he was in the best shape I have seen him in for about a month now! haha. I think he had bubble algae growing on his stalk and when I removed it, it looked to be a bit bruised. An update on my tank is that I think that I lost my lemonpeel angel (c. heraldi) :(, so that makes me a bit sad. I am going to restock my tank when I get back from my next trip. I think I will stick with the smaller cuter fish. But now, I am not nearly as worried about the lighting situation, 168 hours of light or so, definately more than 150... not bad I would say, I was really surprised to see all of my shrooms and polyps at normal size. Also another red mushroom that I hadn't seen for a few months reapeared! Haha, maybe the lights helped it find its way?

gaber

i was just wondering. would i be able to leave a damsel and a cleaner for a week without feeding them? i would feed them the day i leave. just wondering or else i would need to find someone to feed them for me.

Quote: from mxpro32 on 1:02 pm on June 23, 2002[br]    you had your lights on 24 hours a day for a week?  man.  and your corals all looked good.  thats cool.  glad it worked out for you.  i have been looking for light timers but all the ones i find are standard two prong and my ballasts plugs are three prong.

Check Target.  They have an outdoor timer with a 3-prong plug.  I also like it because I have mine hung up under my stand, and it has a cover so that water can't run in and damage the timer.  I think they're about $12.

I'll be leaving my tank for five and nine day periods in August, but I think I'll opt for the fish-sitter option! :)

I wouldn't leave my tank for over 2 days without having someone come in and check on it. but I live in an  apartment complex where my cousin lives and he keeps tanks also. Even if you have a topoff system and a good timer you can trust its still kind of nice to have someone you can trust come over and look at your system just in case something goes wrong you wont lose your livestock. Just my opinion on things.

Joe

Well, now the real test begins, gone for 2.5 weeks, sure hope my girlfriend doesn't mind the drive!

gaber

p.s. please wish me luck!

Archived