Cultivated Reef

ditching eclipse hood please help with setup

smallreef

After taking many peoples advice I am getting rid of my eclipse 3 hood on my 29 gallon, as well as getting rid of my crushed coral sand mix and replacing with southdown sand. I already have the 1x65 watt retrofit inside so want to take that out and use it for new setup. I'm probably going to get a wood canopy from Petswarehouse tomorrow. Okay heres some questions.....

1) Now that I'm ditching the eclipse hood what do I use for a mechanical filter? something like the emporor 280? I dont run a skimmer and don't plan to. I am in process of building a 5 gallon refugium for macros to export nutrients Do I even need a filter? If the answer is I don't need a filter how do i run carbon through the tank every once in a while

2) What should I put inside the wood canopy? I was thinking of just getting 2X65 or 3X65 setup? is this ok? I was going to get the 2X65 on the big piece of reflector and then add my 65 watt in the middle.

3) what is too much heat for the wood canopy? do I have to get fans?

4) Do I need something between the lights and the water? This gets me very nervous? no need to burn down the house for this fish tank.

Thaks for input.......

Okay, here's my experience with a wood canopy and two 175 watt MH and two 50-someodd watt PC actinics. I had zero problem with it.

I simply installed two strips of 1inch pieces of oak under the top of the canopy to install the retro-fit kit onto. (to give it a little space between the reflector and the top of the canopy. This lighting was over a 55 gallon aquarium and the lights definitely heated that tank up. So, I used two fans on the back of the canopy (the back of the canopy was open) to suck the warm air out of the space between the lights and the water. Definitely increased evaporation but helped to keep the water temperature down.

Okay, now my experiences with the lights being above the water with nothing in between. I know, I know, it is unsafe to work in an aquarium like that with MH lights unprotected from water spray. But, I did it for 2 years on the aquarium. As I've said in the past, I was surprised by how much water I could get on those lights while they were on and never have one burst. Not to mention how many times I could burn my arm on those suckers. Youch! As for just a plain ole PC? I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Unless, of course, you have exposed wiring. Salt creep might cause problems on exposed wires. Not to mention the shock danger if you happen to brush up against a bare metal connection with your hand in a bunch of saltwater.

So, if you have your wires properly covered, you're good to go with a wood canopy.

Have fun. :)

John

Smallreef, how old is your eclipse hood? Is it in working order? Would you be intersted in selling? If so post a reply to the thread with what you would like out of it. I would need it shipped to Kentucky.

Thanks, Jim

Archived