SaltCritters.com

Help me brainstorm my new idea.

Aggie05

Well of course, I am already discontent with only having only one nano, so I started thinking. I am probably going to tear down my brackish tank before summer and hopefully will be able to sell some stuff from it (if anyone wants a figure eight puffer let me know). With the money I get I figure I can easily set up a 2.5 gallon for my desk. I am thinking I would like to do an all ricordea tank with one 13 watt bookworm, if I can find one. If not I will use the same setup I have over my fuge. Would a 50/50 bulb be the best? Also, a peppermint shrimp would be cool to have in it but if I didn't have him and could therefore not have to feed the tank I would be up for that. Rics will survive on light only right? Also plan on using my whisper HOB rated for up to 15 gallons on it, with no media. I think it may be too much flow but don't really know, can someone help me out on that? Also, my thinking is that since most ricordea come on rocks that I could start with only a small piece of LR to cycle the tank and then as I had rics to the tank I will also be adding more rock to it. If any of this sounds good or bad, let me know. Is the light too much, or too little? And will I have to feed them anything? Thanks.

That is reassuring coming from you. Although I don't think it will look as nice as yours does.

I saw that you have 2x13 watt over yours. Do you notice whether the ricordea prefers it or not? If that works pretty good then I will go ahead and buy a case of bookworms from that one site and use two and figure out what to do with the other two. I guess I would run a 10000K and an actinic then.

xofinnocent

Well remember the size of ricord's can get rather big for a 2.5 gallon tank. At full size you could only fit like 2-3.

It likes the 2 just fine. I have always had 2 on that tank so I can't say from expierience that one would do as well.

If you had to get them from that site that makes you buy 4, you should have no problem selling them off to another reefer (hopefully). I don't know where College Station is in Texas, but I know that Bayco (the company that makes the Bookworm) is from Texas (Dallas I think). You could probably call them and ask for a place by you that carries the lights, that what I originally did and they led me to a local grocery store for me to grab them at (you would be suprised at the amount of places that cary them). Bayco also manufactures the work lights they sell at Home Depot and Lowes and other places (same exact light as the Bookworm, just the end caps are colored yellow)

Yeah, I have been able to find the worklight ones at lowes, and in fact have a bayco light over my fuge, but I haven't been able to find the bookworms yet. I will call Bayco and ask them though. Thanks for the help.

As far as the size issue goes, I figure if they get too big I will frag it and put it in my 10. Or sell or trade it.:P

I have 13W (50/50) over my 2.5 with GSP, an Anchor, leather, shrooms and Xenia all doing well. For circulation, I have a AC Mini with LR in it. Also using a Thermal Compact heater (25W).

I think your setup should be just fine.

-Ed

Cool, I may start on it pretty soon. It depends on whether I want to move it or not. Nobody get mad at me but I have to move any tanks in my possesion when I move home over the summer and then back here after that. Then they will be settled for a good while. But hey, thats why I got into nanos in the first place. So i might tear down the 20 so I don't have to move it and then just put together this 2.5 with as little money as possible.

coralreeferkim

Excuse me for always putting my 2 cents in on every question that interests me, but where did anyone ever get the idea that ricordias don't need to be fed?! Granted, I do not exactly have the absolute best lighting available on my 55gal which houses approx. 6 specimens of ricordia, one green, one pink (absolutly beautiful) and another rock I got from a friend which I believe to be white ricordia, but could possibly be rhodactis, they are small, but I believe are ricordia. I feed my tank at least 2once a day and have hand fed (actually turkey-baster fed )all of my mushrooms brine or mysis shrimp and have observed them eating through their central orifice. My pink ricordia is pretty big (3 inches) and will eat a fairly large brine shrimp in around 5 mins total! They need to be fed!! Thet are anenomes, and are not entirely photosynthetic, just my humble opinion, but my shrooms look GREAT!!

P.S. If you don't want to feed you are better off with discomas

I have a 4 inch across hairy metallic green shrrom I'd like to trade if anyone's interested!

I was just asking a question. I thought for sure they had to be fed but was throwing it out there to get opinions. I thank you for giving me an answer. Feeding is no big deal, and now I can get a peppermint as well.:D

Just to throw in my 2¢ on the pep, I would suggest against it. I had a pep that attacked polyps and my feather duster, and since then I have avoided them like the plague. (And before anyone asks, yes, I'm sure it was a pep an not a camelback.)

So is it going to attack the rics? If not then there is nothing to worry about because I won't have anything else in the tank.

Most people will tell you that it won't attack corals of any kind, but my experience with one was very different. IMO they're evil little bastards that can't be trusted : , but then again my opinion could be a bit skewed since it took me 3 hours to catch the little bugger after his attacks. :) Personally I prefer cleaner shrimp, either skunk or fire.

jdiver, yes, peps will pick at stuff, mine have become partial to xenia and every now and then pick at some zoo'sbut I think only to take the food out of their mouths, but I have never seen a pep try to mess with a ricordea or shroom for that matter. Not saying it is not possible, but until someone has had first hand expierience watching their pep bother a ricordea, I will hold fast to my opinion that it should be fine.

coralreeferkim, yes, ricordea will benefit from solid food as will just about every coral in the sea. This does not mean that they absolutely need it. Its simbiotic algae can support it totally and it can live a normal life without being fed solid foods as will a very large amount of corals. Aggie05 asked if it can be done and it can, would solid food benifit it, yes, will lack of solid food harm it, no.

Well I'm going to my LFS tomorrow, maybe I'll pick up a tank while I'm there. Now I just have to be able to keep it from my parents. They are going to be ####ed when they find out I started another tank.

Archived