Top Shelf Aquatics

Tap water versus?

wannanomore

wannanomore

Hi, I'm studying as much as I can and saving up for a Nano Reef. I have a 10 gallon tank, light hood, power filter and 100 watt heater. I will have to drive 100 miles to purchase live rock and sand so I want to make sure I am ready before I do this. I'm going to stock the Instant Ocean Salt and some Kalkwasser? spelling might not be right on that one, I hope thats all I need. Please if there are other supplies I should keep on hand let me know.

My main question right now is this; Is there any way I can try using my own tap water if I let it mix in a bucket like you suggest ahead of time for my water changes? I live in a rural area and don't think our water system has the chemicals and additives large cities would but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for any information on this.

Wannanomore

If you live in a rural area then I am sure you have a Walmart near you. I use their distilled water in the purple jugs as do many on this site. Tap water is no good, even if you don't live in a city, the water conditioners that are added can be harmful to the tank. Most likely it will cause you to have excessive algae growth. You can get the gallon jugs from walmart for 58 cents. So thats an initial cost of $5.80 to fill the tank and then a gallon or so a week for top offs and water changes. This is a small price to pay to have pure water.

wannanomore

Thanks for the reply Aggie but our nearest Wal-Mart is 70 miles away and I don't get out much. I was hoping there was an easy way around this but I suspected when I read the articles for beginners and saw the water requirements, that I was SOL. I guess I'll have to stick to FW and Brackish and enjoy Nano's by looking at the one's here. It was finding this site and seeing the awesome pictures that made me want one. Thanks for your time..

Wanna

Man, you really are in a tough spot. Well I hadn't suggested this before but there is another option. If you ahve the money, you can buy an RO/DI unit that will filter your tap water to near perfect quality. I don't know too much about them since I don't use one but other members swear by them. They can help you out. Don't give up so soon, there are ways of doing this for people who live far from any LFS.

Or, try your local grocery store for distilled water. And, even if this isn't going to work, just buy a bunch of water and stock your closet full of jugs for your water changes. Make a monthly trip to walmart for 4 gallons of water or so isn't out of the question. That is, if you don't want to pay the $$ for the RO/DI setup.

Good luck!

wannanomore

Hi, One of the local grocery stores has a large booth at the front of the store from which they sell water, I've never needed to buy water so I don't know if its distilled or just what type it is. I will look into getting some of that if it is distilled water. Thanks again for your help.

Wanna

It is probably distilled or RO water which is good. Just make sure they dont have any copper pipes anywhere because you do not want traces of cooper in the water. Also, see if you can find out how often maintenance is done on it, this will make a difference in the water quality. If they do regular maintenance on it you should be just fine. See, I told you not to give up.;)

Archived