ReefCleaners.org

Moonlight

SplendidWarrior

you could but it wouldn't have the same look as an led. You can build your own moonlights using leds for around 13 bucks. Search for a thread on moonlights that I started and you will find all the info you need.

SplendidWarrior

Pardon me for my ignorant but I've never heard of led before. They may be known as something else here in Singapore.

SplendidWarrior

OK LED as in Light Emitting Diode? Pardon my ignorant again but I thought they're all in red color or are there some other colors that I can use to mimic the natural moonlight? And how many would I need for a 4-gallon?

"OK LED as in Light Emitting Diode? Pardon my ignorant again but I thought they're all in red color or are there some other colors that I can use to mimic the natural moonlight? And how many would I need for a 4-gallon?"

hi there,

light emiting diodes or l.e.d's come in a vast array of colours now, red as you've stated, blue, green, yellow, white etc etc.

Now, for moonlight effect, stick to blue l.e.d. (far easier than trying to add filter colours to white bulbs)

For your 4 gallon i would suggest only one. Seek advice of an electrical store, and pick a good bright one or setup.

for a test and for a good guide, hold the l.e.d. above a flat surface, your looking for a small bright dot of about 2-3 inches wide, this is when the l.e.d. is held say 1.5 - 2 foot above the flat area. Outside of the main circle of brightness should fade quite quickly (hence moonlight spot and effect).

When setting up, set at an angle to the water surface, so if you have any surface currents you'll acheive a small flickering of light against the rear of the tank.

Set the spot area on to the gravel or base of the tank only, as bright light may disturb your corals through the night.

I have a 16 gallon and will only use 1 l.e.d. once setup, but again, all boils down to brightness of.

I got lucky and just guessed, but if you hang on, someone else may be able to set some recomendations or specifications for you to help.

Anyway, i hope i have "enlightened" you some, and not bored you too much,

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

Archived