Top Shelf Aquatics

Wounded Cynarina Lacrimalis - Need Doc!!

mauro

I have a problem!

My Alpheus srimp diging out is tunnels made my Cynarina lacrimalis to fall "face" donw on the sand .

Unfortunately I was out, when I came back I took the Cynarina and put it again uprigth, it inflated (a little) but it has a section of its skeleton exposed and around this section flesh tissues are torn.

It will recover by itself? I have to do something? It is better to

"terminate" it before it dies polluting the tank?

Any help/suggestion is welcome.

You will probably get the best advice on coral doctoring from Eric Borneman on the coral forum at RC.

I am sure recovery is possible, and I doubt there is really enough flesh associated with the animal to constitute significant pollution in the tank. With such damage it seems like bleaching is possible and Eric will probably prescribe a Lugol's bath to help prevent infection.....but I would ask him.

Ill save you the trouble of Eric. .... here.

Chances are if there are a few scutes and upper ridges that pierced the flesh, they can recover, as in the wild they are subject to tumbles and occasional abrasions.

an Iodine dip while anesthetic and antibacterial can also be DEADLY to the coral if not dosed and administered properly. Provided your tank is healthy and water params are stable, if left to its own accord, the coral can recover from puncture wounds nicely.

What concerns me is the basal tear near the attachment point of the tissue to the base. If you can snap a pic of how bad the tear is, I could tell you wnat to do, but if it is severe enough that it looks like you can see up inside the coral from under it like a "hot air balloon" ....... close yer eyes and simply pray.

you MIGHT get lucky and have it heal.... but the chances are NOT stacked in your favor d00der.....

hth... keep us posted ;)

EDIT: RC = REEF'TARD CENTRAL

ps: we have a Coral Care Forum here, but this is an emergency so meh.... LOL

Hi ,

actually is not just a puncture, it is more like a pie slice of flesh that was completely eroded so i can see and toch the septa

the exposed slice is more or less a 10% one and yes it run from the mouth to the bottom of the coral (but mounth is ok).

I took a photo but it is not good one

toast.

:( sorry leave it in. if it shows signs of further erosion, pull it out as it will die and polute your tank.

yeah, it sux.

Archived