Top Shelf Aquatics

My new 2.5 pico

jcjstl

Ok so my son had this 2.5 gallon tank from Wal-Mart. We decided to make it saltwater. I stopped by LFS on my way home from work and bought 3 pounds of rubble and 10 gallons of sw. They where even nice enough to give me some of their sand to seen my fresh sand bed. We are going to let it cycle and then add some low light softies and maybe a couple sexy shrimp... I would love to do a small mantis but not sure if the tank is big enough.... I'm using the little whisper filter that came with this for water movement for now and would love to put some chaeto in the filter. So until I get my 55 gallon going this will be my new experiment. I tested the water 4 hours after first set up .. don't really know it will tell me anything or not yet but my ammonia is currently at .50 and nitrites is at .25

I think I might have to much rock at least for the aqua scaping .. I tried to start a little with it last night. I gave up I am just going to wait for the cycle to complete then work on it. Then again maybe I should just break these into smaller pieces

dallasfishtank8-17.jpg

get some more pics up when the water clears. i doubt you have too much live rock. what kind of lighting does it have?

Right now it just has that cheap screw in bulb that came with it. I am stoping on my way home to get a 50/50 screw in till I get someting else better built. but there is a guy on rc that has a pico that runs on 2 50/50 screw ins with no problems .. this is actually going to be my 8 year olds tank so I want to get some very easy softies and a couple sexy shrimp or something... I have read that there really isnt a fish that can go in this small of a tank with out a large sump would that be correct in your opinions?

shivametimbas

i kept a greenbanded goby in my 2.5 mini-bow for a good while. i guess it just depends on who you ask.get an Aquaclear filter and convert it into a fuge. if that is a mini-bow, i have a canopy for sale.i had 2x18w 50/50 pc lighting in it.

goby:

100_0898.jpg

canopy:

fts_12_15_051.jpg

acfuge:

acfuge.jpg

OK so this is what the tank looked like yesterday after it cleared up but with the normal bulb. fishtank8-18.jpg

Ad this is today with the mini daylight full spectrum bulm that i bought in a hurry last night to get the heat down ... i also bought a cheap mini heater from walmart that comes preset at 78 to keep the tempature swing at night down....

tank8-192.jpg I put some flake food in the tank and everything seems to be chugging right along.

Archived