Innovative Marine Aquariums

New tank with big hopes, please help

lost

I read the list all today to try to catch up on things. Its been a long time since i considered a reef. I want to do a 10 gallon nano, yeah i know i should go bigger but thats what i want. I was planning to have it drilled and do a sump to facilitate a place for skimmer, chiller, and heater. prolly 2.5 gallon AGA tank that i have. I really like SPS corrals and was told 100w is about the zone to shoot for. So will this idea work..

10 gal AGA tank

70w MH 10000K

36w actinic 03 CF

5lbs LS

10-12 lbs of rock

2.5 gal sump

skimmer

chiller (custom ill build peltier powered)

I live in FL i really do need one.

heater 50w or so? not used often.

DIY top off

possibly a CA reactor (i love my plumbing dont i?)

Here is the things the LFS confused me on and they have two 10ga nanos and one 2.5 nano.

Skimmers, i read hear they strip trace elements along with the proteins that build algee. so they must be redosed regularly.

Sea water, the LFS is in love with sea water, i would think RO with elements added would be better and less risky

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK, flames welcome and encouraged.

Thanks In Advance

Philip

10 gallon too small? Errr, ummm, the name of the website is "nano", right? I don't think you'd hear many people on this site argue that your tank is "too" small.

Alright, granted....... I'm waaaaay too newbie to offer much sound advice; but sounds to me like you are trying to pack a tractor/trailer motor into a Toyota. It'll probably be okay, as long as you can still see the water in the tank around the barrage of gizmos and gadgets going in and out/around the tank. Good luck!

duckhuntboy

You may not need a chiller, but you won't know unless you try your system for a few days. Other than that, I don't see anything too bulky.

you will need a chiller with that lighting on the tank and the florida heat. I have the same lighting on my 7 gallon (91/2 if you include the fuge) and I need the chiller in the summer in NY.

Sounds like you have everything well planned out. what the hell do you need us for? (that's the best flame I can do with a well researched and knowledgeable post). Wait, I know, your ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

You learned we learned, your lfs uses local sea water. If you have access to the sea and there are no stream or drainage outlets anywhere near that access, I would try using the seawater over the ro/di, unless it's a real pain in the ass. Check the general and advanced threads for seawater info and how to use it with the least amount of issues.

Good luck with the tank, keep us posted and, by all means, do post pics of the progress.

Most people who live in Florida have central AC. Without it Florida would be close to uninhabited. My tank is in my bedroom and the temp in there never goes above 74 degrees. If you are like most people in Florida you will need a heater to stablize the temp when the lights are out and the AC is blowing, which is eleven of the last six months. Without the heater my tank will swing from 79 (lights on midday) to 71 (lights off 5 am.) With the heater the swing is 78 to 79.

Your lights may make the need for a chiller real, but AC will make the heater neccersary.

Now if you're putting the tank outside in the sun, my 20,000 gal swimming pool hits 96 by the end of June, (and I got a heater on it too,) then disregard everything I said.

Cami

OK here goes, I live with my grandma because im poor and saving $ for school. She likes it about 117° in the house. Ive had salt before but never a reef and it was always hot in my tank. SO a chiller is needed.

Philip

BTW i live in Daytona beach near the ponce inlet. I could collect sea water there. Here is no hydro power plants, no storm run off into sea, and no factorys in daytona at all. not one. The local fish store thats actually somewhat legit uses all sea water in thier own tanks and in customer tanks. They told me to collect after a rain and do it near the jeti so I can walk out to deaper water.

Philip

I read the report. I also work for the town and am aware of the basin overflow into the halifax river. What i am saying is other people are using it and doing it and its working for all of them. The local reef store is using it in his entire store system and its working just fine. He does all sorts of custom tanks for restaurants and business and its in all of thier tanks and it works. I would think if the guy lets his entire revenue depend on this souce of water that it must be working.

Philip

Collecting water shortly after a rain storm will fill your buckets with all the diluted crap (no pun intended) that gets washed out of storm drains. I collect water from the Pacific (in San Diego) for years! Never had any problems. That being said, I dont' know my Floridian Geography, but I would try to find a spot that has "ample" flow from the ocean and not just tidal flow (like most inlets), inlets tend to collect pollutants. After my 2 cents worth, remember 2 things: 1) WAIT a week after it rains for all the pollutants to dilute out (basically let the ocean clear up, then collect) and 2) keep an eye on water conditions like plankton blooms, red tide, etc and make sure you don't collect during these times. Other than that, you should be fine!

lost:

You must be talking about AD @ Amazing Aquariums eh? I actually start working there this week, but have been dealing with AD for a long time. Just a couple of corrections: DONT collect water after it rains, coolect on incoming tide, and always inspect the area pre-water takeage uppage. I always bring my hydrometer with me also, just to be safe. I have been using NSW in my tanks since the beginning and have had 0 issues. AD knows his stuff and is a good guy. Way better than poseidon or coral reef express!! I dunno if you really need a chiller, couldnt you just mount a fan or two on your canopy?

BTW- ADs biggest customer is Ron Rice, owner of Hawaiin Tropic. Hes got numerous tanks at his house here and also his house in Hawaii. But he also does Parks SeaFood and Pure Atlantic Surf n Skate

Yes that is who i had spoke too. I didnt want to mention names just because I did not want to generate any bad press for the guy. And I ate dinner tonight in front of one of his tanks at parks. AD is very nice and has been quite helpful. I would have no problmes dealing with him in the future. BTW Raise what is your name, ill come say hi in person.

Philip

The area Lost is referring to is known for being a "Drive on beach." Plenty of thirty weight penzoil washing into the ocean. So how does this LFS filter out the hydrocarbons?

Ah yes, the banana hammock! THey actually cut down the driving area TREMENDOUSLY, so the pollution has probably been on a decline. The saltwater is 1 micron filtered, no probs yet. My name is Ray, Ill be starting this week sometime. Later!

Archived