Cultivated Reef

ammonia burns

PinStripes

I was wondering if a fish suffered from ammonia burns will get his colors back? I had a flame angel that suffered from ammonia burns. Will it get colors back?

Pin

What exactly do you mean by "ammonia burns?"

I put an flame angel in a new tank which I shouldnt have. It lost some color. Sorta shades of White and a white lip. Understand?

Pin

When extremely stressed, many fish change color. usually get pale and patchy.

Amonia burns in my experience usually look like lesions, get infected and the fish usually don;t recover. If the skin is intact, the fish may bounce back when params are back to normal. If these are ammonia burns, the gills are shot long before the skin shows symptoms. Very serious and only time will tell.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a fish get ammonia burns in a tank, only while in shipping. You're tank would need a hella high ammonia content to "burn"" the fish.

• 4 weeks later...

if a fish gets ammonia burned it will show signs on the sensitive areas first -the eyes and gills.

unless the fish is breathing heavily and or has clouded over eyes, its another ailment, probably stress from aclimation. PM if you need more info as i never check this forum anymore. :)

The Propagator
When extremely stressed, many fish change color. usually get pale and patchy.

Amonia burns in my experience usually look like lesions, get infected and the fish usually don;t recover. If the skin is intact, the fish may bounce back when params are back to normal. If these are ammonia burns, the gills are shot long before the skin shows symptoms. Very serious and only time will tell.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a fish get ammonia burns in a tank, only while in shipping. You're tank would need a hella high ammonia content to "burn"" the fish.

^^^^^

Ditto'

Archived