SaltCritters.com

Good way to start a pico?

GuyontheCouch

GuyontheCouch

Hello everybody,

Since moving into a new apartment and not being able to bring my 75 gal reef with me, I decided to start a 2.5 gal pico. I think I have what i need i just wanted to verify and see what everybody here thinks. It will just house zoa's and mushrooms, and maybe a clown goby. For the lighting i have a Aqualight 18 watt setup. and for filtration and water movement, i will be running an aquclear mini. No sand bed, but about 3-4 lbs live rock. Let me know what you guys think. I will post pics as soon as i get some!

thanks in advance!

:welcome: to NR! so i just tore down my 2.5 MB last night and replaced it with a 2.5 AGA (i dont like the MB look that much) so i am planning on doing the same thing keep us posted
djnanoreefer

:welcome: to nano reef nice setup i would have a little sugar sand if it were me whats the depth of the tank

i just setup my 3gl the tank 15"by8"by8" with 12"by6"by6" as a sump

Any particuliar reason for not running a sand bed?

So far sounds pretty good -- I'm using an 18w Coralife fixture over my 3 gallon and before it crashed I had zoas, shrooms and candy canes in the tank as well as hermits, snails, sexy shrimp and porcelain crab.

Interested to see pictures when you get some!

By being able to keep a nano stable for a few months - a year.

Nanos are MUCH harder to keep going than a large reef and Picos are even harder.

GuyontheCouch

Thanks for the replies!

Well...I will be going for rock next weekend for LR. I have to drive 2 hours for decent rock. Ill have some pics then.

Argent, I dont think im gonna go with a sandbed because of some of the horror stories i have heard. Plus, the tank might just have corals, one astrea snail, and maybe a clown goby. Not much more room for any animal to keep the sand stirred. I know the maintenance will be a little more seeing as now ill have to suck out more detrius.

djnanoreefer, I believe the depth of the tank is 8". It's going to be wierd going from the 6" sand bed i had in the 75...to the bare bottom im going to have!

I will keep you all posted!

P.S. Like i said, there are no good stores really by me...is there any good places online you guys would recommend for bright (preferably aquacultured) zoas???

Archived