ReefCleaners.org

Dont have a clue

S.I.C.

OK. First time in this forum.

I got home tonight and my toadstool is 6-8 inches in diameter. To big for my cube IMO. When I got it, it was only about 3 inches about 3 months ago.

I don't want to donate/give it to my LFS, they make a killing as it is.

I have read about the tools done a few searches with not much luck on the process of how to frag a toadstool.

I need a razor blade, monofilament, toothpick and some super glue gel. Is this right?

I would be happy to share the frags with a couple of people (depends on how many frags I can get)

how would I cut? Bottom up and through the stool into the size I want? Can I frag it into multiple pieces and end up with several frags.

Is this a total art, cause I suck at art.

Thanks in advance.

The Propagator

Make cuttings from the cap. Not the base.

you can glue them, stick them with tooth picks or use fish'n line.

;)

All you have to do is take a new razor blade cut it like a pie or cut slivers off the cap.

VERY easy to do.

Be for warnned the critter wil look like all kinds of hell after you do this.

But its all good it WILL come back just fine. ;)

Make cuttings from the cap. Not the base.

you can glue them, stick them with tooth picks or use fish'n line.

;)

All you have to do is take a new razor blade cut it like a pie or cut slivers off the cap.

VERY easy to do.

Be for warnned the critter wil look like all kinds of hell after you do this.

But its all good it WILL come back just fine. ;)

Sounds like even I can't mess this one up.

So the pie/sliver will grow a base, just confirming. Do I put the open side down? I assume yes.

Then I can send you some?

ya, its really simple to propagate a toadstool! An easy way is to simply cut off the cap of the 'stool, then its just like a pie! cut into slices (the fewer slices, the better chance at survival). It will get messy as the propagator says, but dont fret, it should all be good as long as you keep the water quality in your tank good. Each individual piece should grow its own stalk and the original stalk should grow another cap. Good luck, and let me know if you need anything else!

tanner g.

firefishbrain

if you just wanna clean it up, you could just take it out, put it upside down, and cut the outer rim, making the diameter smaller, form there, cut those into smaller pieces for frags and use any of the methods propagator mentioned... you'll be hard pressed to kill the toad, fairly hardy and those things can take a beating...

I believe there is a video at www.garf.org that shows them doing it with a regular pair of scissors. Pretty easy. The base will grow once the frags "catch".

Have fun! And get ready for some stink to be following you around for a couple days! :o

Leathers make me wanna puke after I handle them---run some carbon when you place them in your tanks.

Archived