Cultivated Reef

Bumble Bee Snail

netwizz

I picked up a bumble bee snail last week. Since I put it in the tank I haven't seen it again. It was under a branch of coral for a day and then it was gone. Do these things dig into the sand? I guess it could be in the live rock somewhere too. Are they fairly active and normally visible?

I saw my bb quite often, they never go under the sand but don't go on the glass that often, mostly just move very slow on the lr... every once in very long while, i'll see my bb on the glass

yeah, i'll second that one..

i got a bumble bee hithhiker, and it stays hidden most of the time.  it's a very slow mover to say the least...

=)

I have a bumble bee snail as well, and it is generally not very visible in my tank. When I first got it I didn't see it for 2-3 days and assumed it had died, but then it suddenly appeared again. Now I usually see it at night, but not every night.

Would you guys reccomend these snails then? I was planning on getting a couple but seeing how you guys say you never see them, I think I might pass on em'.

I have four Bubble Bee snails in my tank and you would be lucky to see even one unless you really hunted. I have not noticed that they clean any of the spots of algae, they seem to stay in the shadowy areas of the tank were it is unlikely that unwanted algae would grow. So I say DUMP-em from your list.

vanillabox

bumble-bees are great scavangers/sand sifters.  I got four of them and as soon as the were acclimated to the tank, and hit the sand 2 of them stared digging right there.  from what I have seen and read, they are active during the night, and will burrow when sleeping.  I don't think they are that great at keeping algae in check, that is why I added 4 asterias to my 10.

If you are looking for a hermit free tank, BB's are great, if you have hermits, they are still good, just feed a little extra meat so they don't starve.  I recommend them for there sifting and cleaning of LR (they will eat what normally will cause that ammonia to spike).

I've read they actually eat small worms and snails in your sand bed and even though they do some sifting you will be better off without them since the little worms and snails in your sand bed would do a better job.

never see my bb in the sand... they on the lr all the time, just front or back or inside the rock cave (i see them if i hunt them hard enough).

Archived