ReefCleaners.org

2x36w heat buildup in a 10g hood

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

I built a quick hood for my 10g from a length of 1x8 - Front and two sides. The back is open. Then used a piece of 1/2" plywood for the top. The sides drop down an inch on the tank to cover the black plastic. A 1x8 is actually 7.5" wide, include the 1" overhang and my 19" PSL 2x36's are sitting approximately 5.5" off of the waters surface.

Tonight I'm going to fill the tank with FW, drop in the heater and get it to normal temperature. Then I'll switch on the lighting to see what happens to the water temp over the next few days.

As it sits right now, the canopy appears to be generating quite a bit of heat when I place my hand inside the empty tank. If I need to install a fan, or rework the hood, I want to do it prior to getting the LR, crew, etc.

Anyone else running a 2x36 on a 10g? Have you had any heating problems?

I'm running that set up on mine. It sits in AH supply's hood. I have a hinged glass top and I'd say the lights sit about 3 inches from the glass. Temp gets to 82 at its highest. I haven't been through a summer yet but I really don't expect a problem. I'm in upstate NY by the way. Hope this helps

see what I did on my hood was make a 1/2" riser system for heat displacment. I will have to see how the heat is transfered on this thing.

I also have a thin piece of plex going infront of the lights seeing how i dont want any SW splashing up there an electrocuting me.

I have a 2x36 ah supply set up in my hood, and in the summer the heat does become a bit of a problem. I bought a clip on fan from staples and in the summer I have it blowing in the back of the hood opening and it stays a constant 80 degrees, without it, it climbs to 86-88

Guy

Archived